Subject: Re: [office] The desirability of xml:id stability

Andreas,

On 02/04/2013 04:36 PM, Andreas J Guelzow wrote:
On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 14:30 -0700, Patrick Durusau wrote:

3) What I am missing is some evidence, other than your saying it, that
preservation of xml:ids is any harder than preserving any other
attribute value.

I understand implementations don't do the preservation now, but at one
time implementations didn't use XML either. Non-use doesn't mean that a
proposal is too difficult or unworkable.

Being able to reliably point into documents would be the next step
towards not simply getting document level pointers from a search engine.

Patrick, what would be an example of an arbitrary string attribute value
that is currently being preserved by at least some ODF
consumer/producers?
Is the "arbitrary" part a requirement?

That is there are plenty of specified attribute values that are persisted. See any stylesheet attribute whose value is chosen by a user.

I don't know how that preservation is different from preserving an "arbitrary" string?

But to amuse you, consider the <text:user-index-mark> which has the attribute: text:string-value. 8.17 and 19.871.6, respectively.

19.871.6 reads: "The text:string-value attribute specifies text to be displayed in an index."

So, I created a file, inserted a user defined string in the index, created an index that shows the user-defined value.

Please open, edit (somewhere other than my index entry), save and re-open.

Does my arbitrary text still appear?

I would say it was preserved by the application. Yes?

Try it with OpenOffice first, but I suspect the same will be true for some other implementations.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick
Andreas

patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau