Subject: Document statistics

Greetings!

We have spoken of the need for reliable numbers on features desired by
users and I think MS may have released a tool that will aid in that
determination.

See:

http://msopentech.com/blog/2014/12/19/new-open-xml-powertool-cmdlet-simplifies-retrieval-document-metrics/

Some of the information it provides:

*****
The style hierarchy – styles can inherit from other styles, and it is
helpful to know what styles are defined in a document.

The content control hierarchy.  We can examine the hierarchy, and
design an XSD schema to validate them.

The list of languages used in a document, such as en-US, fr-FR, and so on.

Whether a document contains tracked revisions, text boxes, complex
fields, simple fields, altChunk content, tables, hyperlinks, legacy
frames, ActiveX controls, sub documents, references to null images,
embedded spreadsheets, document protection, multi-font runs, the list
of numbering formats used, and more.

Metrics on how large the document is, including element counts,
average paragraph lengths, run count, zero length text elements, ASCII
character counts, complex script character counts, East Asia character
counts, and the count of runs of each of the variety of characters.
*****

Think of advanced use as a measure of transition pain.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

Patrick

PS: Suggestions of DOCX repositories in general or should I search the
Common Crawl archives and simply create such a repository?

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Co-Chair, OpenDocument Format TC (OASIS)
Editor, OpenDocument Format TC, Project Editor ISO/IEC 26300
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO 13250-5 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau