Subject: Re: [office] OFFICE-2102 test files

I was asking myself why would someone add complex whitespace handling to any file format specification at all?

To me and all people I have asked the main and likely only reason for this strange whitespace handling is to cope with the pretty printing function of text editors when developers are editing the XML manually, oppose to use an ODF application. Pretty printing breaks the single line into multiple often after 80 to 100 characters. To state the obvious: There is no formal pretty printing specification ;)
Nevertheless most text editors are aware of XML and are not breaking the line in a most harmful way, like within a space of an attribute value.
I assume the best way to test whitespacehandling for ODF, is to create a test that was using pretty printing and 'adjust' the XML in a way that there are more whitespace than the original ODF XML has intended.
Perhaps a line break and indent in a date field, which not usually expected.
In the given document "Manually set.odt" there is only whitespace XML, which should be not of any problem, right?

All the best,
Svante

PS: I guess the call now starts in 2 min due to day light saving time change in the US, dialing in..

Hi all,

attached is a file, where I have put <text:s> and <text:tab> and <text:line-break> manually into an input field.

If I open it in Word 2010, it shows spaces, tab and line-break correctly. (It "repairs" the document, at least because the document is an ODF1.2 extended.)
Could you please test with a newer Word?

In LibreOffice <text:s> and <text:tab> and <text:line-break> are ignored, as expected.

To me it seems as if Word is prepared to read these elements.

Kind regards
Regina