Subject: ODF Teleconference notes - 8 January 2018

Greetings!

The chat notes from the ODF teleconference, 8 January 2018.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

Patrick

******Chat notes******

anonymous morphed into Jos van den Oever
Please change your name from 'anonymous' using the Settings button
anonymous morphed into Patrick
Jos van den Oever: Agenda
------

1. Dial-In, Roll Call, Determination of Quorum and Voting Rights

2. Motion (simple majority): Approve the Agenda

3. Motion (simple majority): Notice of minutes from prior TC calls - pending

4. Meeting time for 2017-01-08 - https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2018&month=1&day=8&hour=17&min=0&sec=0&p1=25&p2=37

5. Issues for Jan. 8, 2018:

a. https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-3897  OFFICE-3897 Extract
ODF-only features missing from SVG, liaise with W3C about that

b. https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-3896  OFFICE-3896 Require
svg support for linked and inline images

6. Next meeting: 2018-01-15.

7.  Adjournment
Jos van den Oever: Michael: what is happening to the forcearray parameters?
Jos van den Oever: (this is added as initial item on the agenda)
Jos van den Oever: before 5a
Jos van den Oever: regina suggests reading this thread ^
Jos van den Oever: agenda approved
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: we're discussing if we should move ahead with forcearray changes
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: the matter is not settled yet, by having an argument type of array, we know that that argument should be evaluated as an array
Jos van den Oever: Regina: the problem i see, when you calculate without array context, you get a single value, which is also an array, because of the context
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: is there an example of using an array without an array context?
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: by having it as an argument as array type, we force an array context
Patrick: Another example where ForceArray is used without Array is
MODE( { ForceArray NumberSequence N }+ )
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: andreas: do you agree that that ForceArray on NumberSequence is acceptable?
Jos van den Oever: since NumberSequence is not an array
Jos van den Oever: ForceArray makes sense if arguments are not array
Patrick: ROWS( Reference|Array R )
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: If there is an alternative type (a choice of type), ForceArray would also be legitimate
Jos van den Oever: So only in the case when the only datatype is array, that forcearray seems redundant
Jos van den Oever: Regina: Is there such a function?
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: I asked Eike but got no answer to the question
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: if there were an example like this, then forcearray would be warranted
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: i'm looking up the references, e.g. 6.13.30ROWS
Jos van den Oever: ROWS( Reference|Array R )
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: perhaps I do not know what array context means
Regina Henschel: The LOOKUP-function have the same choice Reference|Array.
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: ROWS arguments are not evaluated in an array context.
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: what does it do differently
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: it would mean implicit intersection
Andreas J Guelzow: =C4:D5+F4:G5  in array context is a 2 by 2 array
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: in an array context it's a 2x2 array
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: you would not get anything, because you cannot have rows and columns intersection at the same time
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: So then it's an error
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: so ROWS does not force an arrays context and I understand what Eike meant
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: we need something to distinguish between forcing array context and not
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: wasn't eike saying that ForceArray is supposed to do that
Jos van den Oever: Andreas: Eike is right that we need to keep ForceArray to distinguish, and it's correct that it lacks in ROWS
Jos van den Oever: Regina: we should follow eike's proposal
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: is there consensus that we need a more explicit explanation?
Jos van den Oever: Regina: we need another issue: first solve the issues where ForceArray is missing and then make an issue to add a better explanation in the specification
Jos van den Oever: Regina: i've already started to think on a better explanation, but that has to wait until after fosdem for which I'm preparing a talk
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: we will wait for that
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: are there more comments on this topic? no? ok, now we have a good path forward
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: this one was submitted by Thorsten
Jos van den Oever: Regina: it sounds as a wish that we move from all draw shapes to svg
Jos van den Oever: Regina: but that seems not possible, because draw: can have a text box, svg has no wrapping
Jos van den Oever: Regina: in draw there is no fill and stroke on text
Jos van den Oever: Regina: so moving totally to svg is not a good idea
Jos van den Oever: Regina: in svg we'd have to add our own draw text as extention? is that what we want?
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: doesn't svg 2 have wrapping?
Jos van den Oever: Jos: I thought it stopped at svg 2
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: no, there's a recent update on it where wrapping is discussed
Jos van den Oever: Regina: they've moved their working to github, so we can look there
Jos van den Oever: Regina: There is a weekly digest to the svg mailing list. They are still working on the spec
Jos van den Oever: GitHub link: https://github.com/w3c/svgwg
Jos van den Oever: Regina: there are other differences, e.g. draw transform does not work on stroke, but svg also transforms the stroke
Jos van den Oever: Regina: in svg there is filling of non-closed shapes too
Jos van den Oever: Regina: there are many cases where our way to draw the shapes would have to go into an svg extension element
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: or we could suggest improvements to svg
Jos van den Oever: Regina: I've collected some things on the wiki of the document foundation ^
Jos van den Oever: Regina: do we really want to change our draw shapes to svg?
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: or offer it as alternative
Jos van den Oever: Jos: we already allow adding SVG images, even inline
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: the spec says that extentions should only be used if there is no alternative
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: so only use svg when draw does not support what you want
Jos van den Oever: Regina: as an external image svg is fine, inline svg is discouraged because it is an extension
Jos van den Oever: Michael: what is the advantage of inline svg?
Jos van den Oever: Jos: access for macros
Jos van den Oever: Michael: for compatibility we cannot lose any draw functionality
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: regina said 'use svg outside of a draw frame' what does that mean?
Jos van den Oever: Regina: one could put svg elements in odf and then it's odf extended
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: is there a difference in the content that i can have in an svg element depending on the location (in draw:frame or outside)
Jos van den Oever: Regina: SVG can have an event handler
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: we say vectors should be stored as svg, but draw:image only allows base64 content
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: we might allow inline svg there
Jos van den Oever: Regina: currently you put svg as a separate file
Jos van den Oever: in the zip container
Jos van den Oever: Regina: base64 is only needed in flat files
Jos van den Oever: Meeting ajourned

patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net