Subject: Adding a namespace for CSS

Hello members,

I'm still working on border and shadow. I notice, that the current behavior of applications differ in regard of line height, line break and page break, if borders and shadows have to be considered. I have started with borders.

ODF 1.2 specifies fo:border, fo:border-left and similar. It does it by referring to XSL https://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/ e.g. to Â7.29.6 "border-left". That specification uses CSS2 e.g. https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/box.html#propdef-border-left

Unfortunately CSS2 is sometimes not as precise as needed or has not the needed properties to describe the intended behavior, example will follow in next mail. The specification of XSL-FO is no longer maintained (see https://www.w3.org/XML/XPPL/) so that improvement is not possible in XSL-FO. CSS is maintained and CSS3 is in a state, that some modules are already 'Recommendation' or at least 'Candidate Recommendation'.

Therefore I suggest to introduce a prefix css bound to a namespace e.g. urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:css-compatible (or whatever syntax is needed). That way we can define a 'css:box-decoration-break', for example. In the specification we can add the full description as given in the CSS3 'Candidate Recommendation' with a note, that it is a copy from there and that it will be bound to CSS3, when CSS3 will be a stable 'Recommendation'. [Is that possible?]

Kind regards
Regina