oic-comment message

Subject: Fwd: Review of ISO/IEC JTC Interoperabilty Considerations

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Dennis E.
Hamilton<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

>  2. Although it might be a matter of some interest how the ODF specification
> is assessed with regard to the interoperability-related criteria that apply
> to it as an ISO/IEC JTC1 submission, I don't believe that the OIC TC has
> undertaken any responsibility in that regard.  This seems to be a proper
> concern for the ODF TC, especially as JTC1 policies come to bear on future
> submissions pertaining to IS 26300, its maintenance, its revisions, and its
> possible replacements.

Hi, Dennis,

The OIC TC Charter in that regard provides in its scope of work section:

"6. To provide feedback, where necessary, to the OASIS Open Document
Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC on changes to ODF
that might improve interoperability[.]"

<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/oic/charter.php>.

Clearly and unambiguously specifying the conformity requirements that
are essential to achieve the interoperability is not on the ODF TC's
agenda. Perhaps some prodding on that topic by this TC's State of ODF
Interoperability Report might cause the ODF TC to add that agenda item
for ODF 1.2? "Twould be more efficient than waiting for such work to
begin at SC 34 when it receives ODF 1.2 and even more implementation
code would need rewrite to accommodate the changes.

Best regards,

Paul E. Merrell, J.D. (Marbux)

--
Universal Interoperability Council