oic message

Subject: OIC TC Meeting, 2008-10-29, Minutes

OASIS ODF Interoperability and Conformance (OIC) TC
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/ (member page)

Date:  Wednesday, 29 October 2008
Time:  14:30 - 15:30 UTC (2:30 pm - 3:30 pm GMT)

View event details (member access required):
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/event.php?event_id=20001

MEETING MINUTES

1. LOGISTICS

1.1 ATTENDANCE AND QUORUM

    QUORUM: 9 of 10 Voting Members were present (more than half [6] required).  The meeting was called to order at 1435 UTC.

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Alex Wang
      Jeremy Allison
    * Mingfei Jia
    * Robert Weir
    * Andreas Guelzow
    * Dennis Hamilton
    * Bart Hanssens
    * Alan Clark
    * Michael Brauer
      Michael Cziebalski
    * Daniel Rentz
      Louis Suarez-Potts

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz
      Donald Harbison
      Thorsten Zachmann
      Andrew Rist
    * Tom Rabon
      Jerry Smith

      [* = voting Member]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES [1] - Accepted without change.

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA [2]

    Accepted with Use of Chat Discussion Room added (6, below)

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS

   #0000 Configure OIC Wiki (Mary McRae)
   Discussion - Bart will follow-up with Mary about directory structure and availability, and post to the list about it.

   #0001 Contact opendocumentfellowship (Bart Hanssens)
   Report - some concerns about availability of their test documents under copyright and also specificity to an app, so their test documents would need customization.  Still open.

3. DECIDE UPON TARGET(S): ODF 1.0/1.1/1.2 ?

There was discussion of the high overlap between the standards, especially the common areas of ODF 1.0/1.1/1.2.  There was discussion of feedback of findings about the specifications reported back to the ODF TC.  There was consideration of how metadata provided for cases could indicate the specification(s) the case applies to.  It was suggested that we start with 1.1 and indicate if the material for a case is usable with 1.0.  No action taken.

4. DELIVERABLES: TEST DOCUMENTS

There was general discussion and consideration of what kind of cases to have.  Discussion got into starting to create test cases or perhaps taking a slower start, finding out what other experts have to say, etc.

There was general interest in bringing in other researchers, have invited presentations and discussions.  There were observations around what concerns users (e.g., changes in pagination and line breaks between implementations).  Also discussion around leaving room for interpretation and the first-order sense of a working feature.  The creation of a catalog in terms of features was also raised.  Also, we don't have to do this top-down, but find the pain points and try to work out some of those.

Finding others to speak to us about their experience is of general interest, and a number of candidates were identified, such as Rajib Shah.

Those going to the OpenOffice.org conference in Beijing may have further ideas and contacts on their return.

4.1 WHAT/HOW TO TEST

Discussion of collecting documents and experiences on the wiki.  Make a test document can add it to the wiki.  Organize by major feature.  We need to have a test architecture/taxonomy before we get too far.

Discussed starting with something that we understand and compare the different approaches.  Need a way to build up a prototype file and add in markup for cases of interest.  Considered the value of injecting into a skeleton file, allowing us to work with fragments.  It was also suggested that we do some manual cases and see what there is to learn in how make them work.

ACTIONS:
   1. We want to invite some speakers and to try some test documents ourselves.
   2. Members should suggest invited experts to Bart.
   3. We are looking at keeping the call dates between our regularly-scheduled two-weeks-apart calls for informal briefings and discussion with guests.

4.2 CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS - Not addressed

5. PRIOR ART AND USEFUL RESOURCES

   INITIAL LIST

     - opendocumentfellowship test suite
     - OOoCon 2008 ODF Adoption TC sessions
     - PDF/A Isartor test suite (as an example)
     - David Marston's work on XSLT test suite
     - interesting Web Standards work, such as the Acid tests

We want to keep capturing items.  Request suggestions of prior experience and useful resources.  We'll put it on the Wiki and gather more.  There may be more information to bring back from the OpenOffice conference.

This is understood to be continuing work.

ACTION: No specific action.  Use the list to make suggestions for now.  Start using the wiki (?).

6. CHAT ROOM FOR TC CALLS

There is an OASIS chat facility that can be used along with a call to share fragments of text.  It is an adjunct to the call.  Can be used for backup in some cases (and as a way of notifying the meeting of call-in difficulties).  There was also discussion of using freenode and conventional chat.  The OASIS chat, which works with browsers and is an OASIS-accepted tool seemed preferable.

ACTION: Bart will find out how to have an OASIS Chat Room.

7. ROUNDTABLE

We basically had discussions "around the table" as we worked through the agenda items.

Dennis reported his impression that Microsoft will continue to assess whether they will be present here or elsewhere.

8. FUTURE MEETING PLAN

The next call is at 1430 UTC on November 19, and every two weeks after that.  The intervening weeks will be available for visitor events where we obtain briefings from others.

9. END OF MEETING

The meeting was adjourned a few minutes after 1530 UTC.

[end of minutes]

[1] October 22, 2008 Minutes: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200810/msg00014.html

[2] October 29, 2008 Agenda: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200810/msg00022.html