oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] OOoCon and ODF tests

Andreas J Guelzow <aguelzow@math.concordia.ab.ca> wrote on 11/10/2008
02:16:55 PM:

> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 05:48 +0100, Hanssens Bart wrote:
> > Hi Andreas,

> > >Where in the ODF specs are spreadsheet formulas specified?
> >
> > They aren't (at least not in 1.1). ODF 1.1 implementations
> > tend to use an openoffice.org namespace or use a draft of the
> > upcoming ODF 1.2 OpenFormula.
>
> Well, there aren't any definitions available for the ooo= namespace.
> Moreover while they might be using the OpenFormula Draft, I would more
> likely suspect that they typically implemented functions that emulate
> what MS Excel is doing.
>
> Since the OpenFormula draft is full of "implementation defined"
> sections, I would love to know where those sample formulae came from.

What we used were test cases from OpenFormula specification, extracted
into a test file.  So the semantics were those defined by ODF 1.2's
OpenFormula, but used in an ODF 1.0 document, using the ooo namespace.  So
it was not a conformance test, but a test of how close current ODF
implementations are to OpenFormula.

> > So unfortunately, for the time being, interop in this area
> > can only be achieved in a non-standard way.
>
> I don't think that, with respect to spreadsheets, ODF and/or OpenFormula
> brings us any closer to interoperability. So I was quite surprised to
> read that spreadsheet formulas were used for this little exercise.

I'm surprised to hear you say that OpenFormula does not bring us any
closer to interoperability.  Can you explain what you mean a bit more?

Regards,

-Rob