oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Confirmation Flavor: #3 Incorrectly-Generated ODF

Great observations.  Let's look a little closer.

"Cannot happen" is a little strong.  This reflects a real situation
uncovered in some interoperability exercises.  There are documents in the
wild for which a Processor Y behaves as described.

Now, it may be that the implementers of Processor Y and the implementers of
Processor X disagree about how the specification is understood.

But the key thing is that documents that claim to be ODF 1.1 having such an
alleged defect already exist and we have no idea which ones they are.

Suppose that the way the implementer of Processor Z chooses to deal with
this is to assume that the document is incorrect but that it is easy to
correct for this known behavior by accepting X's document and silently
substituting an ODF construction that all implementers agree is correct and
that is accepted just fine by Processors X, Y, and Z.

In fact, let's suppose the implementers of Processor Y come to the oic-user
list and ask for guidance on what they should do with this case, since they
can	also change Processor Y to do what processor Z does.  This is a bona
fide pragmatic interoperability situation.  What should our advice be?
(Remember, the users of Processor X are busily churning out and circulating
documents and some of them will have this defect, if that is what it is.)

 - Dennis