oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] "Test Suite": A Rose by Any Other Name ...

Andreas,

I hope that I cleared up some of this in my reply to Rob Weir,
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200811/msg00024.html

I think the whole point is expressed in the Overview statement on the OIC TC
Page:

   The OASIS OIC TC helps implementors create applications
   that conform to the OpenDocument Format (ODF) OASIS
   Standard. ... The OIC TC works to ensure that the growing
   number of ODF-compliant applications are able to
   interoperate and conform to the standard.

So I think of us as aiding and abetting interoperability.

I think an important part of the approach to this is given in the first
scope item of the TC charter:

   1. Initially and periodically thereafter, to review the
      current state of conformance and interoperability
      among a number of ODF implementations; To produce
      reports on overall trends in conformance and
      interoperability that note areas of accomplishment
      as well as areas needing improvement, and to recommend
      prioritized activities for advancing the state of
      conformance and interoperability among ODF implementations
      in general without identifying or commenting on particular
      implementations;

With regard to feature confirmation, I am thinking not about whether a
feature exists in ODF but whether (1) an implementation can exhibit such a
feature in the ODF it produces and (2) that it deals with the feature in ODF
it accepts in an appropriate manner, depending on whether (2a) it supports
the feature or (2b) it does not.  And then, depending on how it supports the
feature in documents it accepts, (3) how it does or does not preserve the
feature-related ODF elements in its output.  I suppose one also wants to
also entertain consideration of (4) ways that substitute behavior might be
obtained/controlled when (2b) holds.

I'm thinking of this as early work oriented on features where
interoperability is prized and perhaps critical.  I assume that we want to
look at these conditions in cases where interoperability of particular ODF
features is found to be most important in the review of the current state of
conformance and interoperability.

I want to some how differentiate these kinds of ways to test for conformance
from the usual notion of test documents and test suites that apply to an
overall application and go far beyond the provisions of the format.  Yet
interoperability does depend on some qualities of the application software.
I'm concerned that we might see ourselves as producing acceptance tests or
certifying conformance in any way, and I want to avoid the notion that the
"test suite" is something to pass, rather than something to learn from and
use to assess how one deals with particular ODF features.

Have I clarified my concern, or does this seem even murkier?

I am using different terms as a way of attempting to get my head around all
of this.  I want to avoid automatic assumption that I have a good tacit
understanding of the usual words around tests and testing and, in
particular, that those tacit understandings make sense in the kind of
interoperability and conformance determination there can be with respect to
ODF-supporting software implementations.

 - Dennis