oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Confirmation Flavor: #3 Incorrectly-Generated ODF - PS

Dennis Hamilton wrote:
> 1. It is the producer of Processor Y that is receiving all of the
> complaints, because their product fails to accept the documents
created by
> users of Processor X and there is no indication to those users that
> anything untoward is happening.

> 2. I don't know if this applies to the particular case that inspired
this,
> but consider that the ODF Specification is determined to be rather
> imperfect in this particular area and it is not exactly clear which
> interpretation is the correct one, but it is clear that it is easy to
> misunderstand.

Mm, I see two related but different issues here:

- either producer X is wrong (per spec)
In that case, implementer X should fix it and it's up to Y, Z, to
support X's non-conformant files or not. Just like - for instance - it's
up to Oracle to decide if they want to support MySQL-style queries that
might not be standard SQL.

- or the ODF spec itself isn't clear
Then this should be clarified in the next version (or errata of the
current) ODF spec, and we unfortunately have to deal with those file for
a while and perhaps Y en Z will support X

Best regards,

Bart