oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2009-01-14 Meeting Minutes

OASIS INTEROPERABILITY AND CONFORMANCE (OIC) TC
   Wednesday, January 14, 2009 Coordination Call
   14:30 - 15:30 GMT

*** IMPORTANT NOTICE *****************************************
*                                                            *
*   The next meeting of the OIC TC will be on January 21, at *
*   the usual times.  This is a new meeting on the calendar. *
*                                                            *
*   The meeting for January 28 is cancelled.                 *
*                                                            *
*   The normal meeting schedule resumes with the February 11 *
*   meeting.                                                 *
*                                                            *
*** END NOTICE ***********************************************

1. LOGISTICS
The chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic (doesn't count as attendance)
The call-in numbers: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200810/msg00008.html
The meeting was called to order by Chair Bart Hanssens at 14:34 GMT

1.1 ATTENDANCE AND QUORUM CHECK

    QUORUM: 8 of 11 Voting Members at start (6 required)

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
    * Jeremy Allison, Google
      Robert Weir, IBM
    * Andreas Guelzow, Individual
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (secretary)
      Stephen Peront, Microsoft
    * Alan Clark, Novell
    + Andrew Rist, Oracle
    * Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems
      Michael Cziebalski, Sun Microsystems
    * Daniel Rentz, Sun Microsystems
    * Louis Suarez-Potts, Sun Microsystems

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting
       + = achieved Voting Member status at conclusion of meeting]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Peter Junge, Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
    * Donald Harbison, IBM
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
      Pierre Ducroquet
      Thomas Zachmann
    - Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
      Jerry Smith, US Departement of Defense

      [* = Voting Member
       - = Voting Member status ended at conclusion of meeting]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES [1], accepted

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA [2], accepted

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS
   (<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php>, member log-in required)

   #0001: There is still no response from the OpenDocument Fellowship and Intel.  Bart will re-ping.
   #0007: After more discussion, we agreed to link to the opendocument.xml.org forums on the Wiki and the TC page, with the caveat that the TC will only accept submissions made via oic-comment.
   #0013: Remains open, with members encouraged to use the Wiki
   #0014: No action on list of 2009 events.  Louis holds the item open, Bart will provide some information
   #0015: Dennis repromised Template Scenario to be on the wiki before our next meeting

3. DELIVERABLES: TEST DOCUMENTS

3.1 COMMENTS ON EXPERT TALK QUESTIONS

Dennis reported that David Marston's slide set, with notes from Hamilton, is now available on the TC Wiki under the Resources list entry on the front page, <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/>.
    <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1?action=print&media=projection> as Slide Show,
    <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1> as Wiki pages

Dennis reported that Marston's suggestion is for us to resolve the "First Wave of Decisions" items for ourselves,
<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1/800_The_First_Wave_of_Decisions>.
There is a straw-man response to these six items on the list at
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200812/msg00025.html>.

**ACTION ITEM: We agreed to discuss on the list in order to formulate the OIC decisions that will set the context for our detailed work.

Rob Weir described his observation of David Marston when they were working on XSLT conformance
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=xslt>.
Marston took XSLT specification apart section by section and redlining everywhere that a test assertion is made or called for.  This led to OIC discussion of how we could take the OASIS ODF 1.1 Standard apart and do the same thing using the Wiki, breaking the specification into a substructure that allows hyper-link cross-referencing to issues, test-assertions, and from test-assertions to test descriptions and scenarios.

Discussion further, we have elected to focus on the ODF 1.1 Packaging section (Section 17, pages 709-717 in
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.1/OS/OpenDocument-v1.1.pdf>) because this is where Bart had already been exploring possible metadata XML.  It was agreed this would give us a confined area to experiment with before we agreed on the overall approach and attempted to embrace the entire specification.  An important objective in this experiment is to come up with something that would admit of automatic extraction from the ODF package of the ODF specifications, the relevant ODF schemas, etc.

** ACTION ITEM: Dennis agreed to make a start at manually-structuring the relevant extract from ODF 1.1 and having it available for review and trial decoration with cross-references prior to the next meeting.

3.2 REVIEW AND E-BALLOT ON TEST META-DATA [3]

Bart wanted to know what we should do with his proposed test meta-data and whether the exercise with the ODF 1.1 specification is an alternative to that.  We discussed the difference between material developed in support of our internal work and what would become approved output from the OIC TC.  We will be considering what will be published as part of our results, what is just part our work process, and experimental, working items such as the trial XML for test metadata.

Test metadata coded in XML is wanted as a deliverable.  What parts of it are a test case and part of our tracking, etc., need to be resolved.  Rob pointed out that we also do not want to have tracking and tracking information in multiple places.  There are multiple levels.

We will continue to experiment and try out test metadata and see how it will blend into the overall approach.

4. ROUND TABLE

We discussed the announcement [4] that Abi Word had received funding for enhancement to their support for ODF.  It was suggested that the Abi Word team be invited to participate on the OIC and see if our work on test assertions and test cases could be of value in their implementation testing.  This would be a good exercise to demonstrate how well our test material supports implementation profiling.

**ACTION ITEM: Jeremy Allison has contacts with the Abi Word developers and will attempt to connect.

It was asked whether people were finding what they had been looking for when joining the OIC TC, and whether there are itches not being scratched.  It was observed that in terms of what we are chartered to do, we are not paying much attention to the state of interoperability.  Meanwhile we are learning how to get going, and get a system for those set up first, etc.  Part of it is also having enough people to work on things in parallel.  It appears that we have a mix of people who are keen about meta-issues and working down from a high level along with those who prefer to work with their hands on the bits and building up from working elements.

5. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

There are conflicts for the January 28th meeting.  In looking at how to not have too much time pass, we chose to meet earlier, adding a meeting on January 21, with the normal bi-weekly schedule resuming on February 11 as already scheduled.

5.1 NEW BUSINESS (none)

5.2 CURRENT SCHEDULE

   2009-01-21 Next Meeting, last meeting in January
   2009-02-11 First meeting in February, continuing every two weeks

   There are currently no schedules for deliverables or other activities

6. END OF MEETING
   The meeting was adjourned at 15:29 GMT.

    ----

[1] OIC-TC 2008-12-17 Meeting Minutes,
    <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200812/msg00021.html>

[2] Groups - TC Meeting, 2009-01-14, Agenda Added
    <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200901/msg00010.html>

[3] Bart's proposal on http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestScenario

[4] AbiWord gets funding for ODF development
    <http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/AbiWord-gets-funding-for-ODF-development--/112374>

 - Dennis (OIC Secretary)

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org