oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] profiles: ODF 1.2 or 1.1

Title: RE: [oic] profiles: ODF 1.2 or 1.1

I've just uploaded a rough proposal for creating predefined groups (similar to the predefined groups in OpenFormula)

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/31334/GroupsAndProfiles-ODF-11-Metadata-wd-1.odt

To get things started: I didn't really look at existing implementations, but simply balanced what I would like to have implemented as a customer and what I think is reasonable for implementers.

My suggestion is that:

* we create predefined groups for each chapter (regardless if we do ODF 1.1, 1.2 or both), in separate documents (whoever feels like it, could start such a document)
* move them forward to a Committee Draft, or at least agree upon them informally ("divide and conquer": easier to get approval on smaller, well-defined parts than one huge document)
* when all chapters have been processed in this way, integrate them into one single document, containing predefined groups for all chapters/features
* formally turn that document into a Committee Specification (perhaps Standard ?), using the proper OASIS procedures.
* (and perhaps the ODF TC could use the polished and standardized OIC spec as input for "ODF Next")

Then we could use these predefined groups as flexible building blocks to create profiles.

For instance, one could create a profile "Web" with Metadata-Medium + Table-Small etc
Or create an "Archive" profile with Metadata-Large + Text-Large etc and add additional constraints (no encryption, no scripting) or loosen other parts

Best regards,

Bart