oic message

Subject: Re: [oic] xml element/attribute coverage/analysis

Bart,

I have to apologize that it took me so long to complete my action item.

On 02/27/09 10:02, Hanssens Bart wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've been thinking about automating things...
>
> Perhaps these tools already exist, if so, it would be nice if someone
> could provide a pointer to it
>

> 2) another component, expanding the RNG of the ODF spec and creating
> a list / spreadsheet of all elements and what attributes each element
> can have.
>
> Seems like something that could be an API-call or option for Trang /
> Jing, but I haven't found it.
>
> (If I recall correctly, Michael did some brainstorming about this
> and kindly offered to write some documentation on it)

Actually it is more than only brainstorming. Some time ago I have
developed two XSLT stylesheets that create a spreadsheet that lists all
ODF elements and its attributes. The stylesheets are available as
samples to the odf-xslt-runner tool at odftoolkit.org:

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odftoolkit/pages/ODFXSLTRunner

The sample style sheets are described here:

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odftoolkit/pages/ODFXSLTRunnerExamples

There are actually a few more than those that are described so far. By
now I only added description for those stylesheets that may be of
interest for this TC. The description may also be a little bit rough so
far. If there are questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

I have further uploaded a sample output of the stylesheets at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/31461/odf12-draft9-attribute-xref.ods

I hope this helps, and again, if someone is interested in adapting the
stylesheets and has questions how to do that, please don't hesitate to ask.

> Combining 1 and 2, one could create some sort of an "element/attribute
> coverage" spreadsheet (like code coverage reports, without having to
> write unit tests, but not as precise due to limitation 1b )
>

> 3) the icing on the cake would be that the <element> in the RNG itself
> would contain an annotation/comment pointing to the numbered section
> in the ODF spec where the semantics of the odf-element is explained
>
> Or that a tool could automatically parse the normative document on
> the ODF spec and get the elements/attributes being described.
>
> For the ODF 1.1 spec, this might be a non-trivial effort to get it
> exactly right.
>
> I think it's easier to do this with the ODF 1.2 spec, since (all ?) the
> element names are part of the title and there is a chapter listing
> (all ?) the attributes as well. (So we'd only have to figure out how
> to get all attribute values as well)
>
> (Michael/Rob, is this assumption correct ? Does each and every element
> and attribute has an entry of its own in the Table of Contents of the
> ODF 1.2 spec ?)

Yes, but it may be better to take the paragraphs that start with
"element-" and "attribute-" as basis. These are also used as anchors for
the element and attribute lists we generate from the schema into the
specification document.

Best regards

Michael

> Best regards,