oic message

Subject: RE: submitting test documents, simplified

Title: RE: submitting test documents, simplified

Hello Mingfei,

> Firstly, just want to confirm the presenting of test metadata will
> be a html document that is generated from the XML, which in turn is
> generated from the template in the contributor's mail, right ?

Correct: it should be possible to write a tool that processes the
online mailarchive (or your own mailfolder), searches for new test
case submissions and generates an XML based upon the filled out mail
template.

At the same time, this tool could save the attached test documents
to a local svn working copy (automated svn commit is also possible,
but it is safer to do this manually)

I'm willing to give this a try. Any language preferences ? Rob is
doing some work in Python, so perhaps we could settle for Python.
While I'm basically a Java-guy (well, Groovy scripter lately), it's
a good excuse to learn a new language ;-)

> Second, a question: for a test case, we hope its test metadata
> (html doc) and test document are put together on the document
> repository.OASIS document repository seems not be able to do that
> How about put them together on SVN?

Yes, "publishing" them in SVN would work out just fine.

However, current OASIS rules require to at least zip a "stable"
version of these test documents (and metadata and generated XML and
HTML pages) at regular intervals and store it in the OASIS document
repository.

OK, yet another tool to be written :-)

SVN is a bit tricky here: one can easily add properties, but the
manual points out that searching for properties is inefficient.

So perhaps we should upload the new docs to something like:
TestDocs/trunk/uploaded/...

And once they are approved, move them to
TestDocs/trunk/approved/...

(Branches probably won't help us here, IIRC merging is directory-
to-directory, or file-to-file. Feel free to correct me on this one)

> Also I saw Dennis is building a SpecAnalysis tree in SVN, maybe it
> is better if the test suite tree can have a direct relationship with
> the SpecAnalysis tree. But I do not know how to do that right now?
> Add some link somewhere? Or combine the 2 things together? etc...

Hmm, _if_ every submitted scenario also contains information about
what part(s) of the ODF spec is tested with the attached documents,
one could perhaps autogenerate those links in an overview page.

As Dennis pointed out, separating the SpecAnalysis and TestDocs in
different trees is a clean solution.

Once we have a detailed, structured overview of what goes where, it
could be simply an exercise on generating overview pages with auto-
generated links pointing to documents, specifications, wiki pages
etc...

Best regards,

Bart