oic message

Subject: profiles, summary

Hi,

IIRC, Rob mentioned something about an ODF/Web profile during the
Adoption TC conference call ? So this could be interesting for the OIC
as well.

I've taken the liberty to come up with a list/summary of the various
profiles proposed in the OIC and on various blogs etc.

The goal of this list is to get an overview (due to resource constraints
we probably won't have time to write out detailed profile proposals in
the near future, but perhaps such a "wish list" could be interesting for
"ODF-Next")

- ODF/Web
Goal: to be able to roundtrip between "typical" (X)HTML and ODF,
basically a mapping between ODF-styles and CSS + ODF elements/attributes
and XHTML
Challenge: is this is wat ".oth" is all about ?
Origin: example in OIC TC Charter

In theory, ODF should be great since the XForms support in ODF would be
perfect for filling out forms off-line (imagine a browser that would let
you drag a form to your desktop and back again), although it doesn't
quite work out that way in the real world.

-ODF/Mobile
Goal: delivering an ODF profile suitable for low-resource, mobile
devices
Challenge: ODF-application support on cell phones ?
Origin: example in OIC TC Charter

- ODF/Archive
Goal: long time archiving, much like PDF/A
Challenge: I think we need proper definitions of how to render the
various ODF-elements first, and have support for font embedding
Origin: example in OIC TC Charter

- ODF/Secure
Goal: a "safe", signature-enabled version of ODF, without scripts
Challenge: this might depend on having a ODF/Archive, needs ODF 1.2 sigs
Origin: started as a comment thread on Rob's blog on WYSIWYS

- ODF/Spreadsheet, ODF/Text, ODF/Presentation, ODF/Image
Goal: define what a spreadsheet, word processor... must implement
Challenge: having them defined as conformance classes in the ODF spec
itself might be a better idea, like a normative version of Appendix D ?
Origin: This one includes some of my previous thoughts, as well as
Dennis comments on raising the floor.

- ODF/Atom ?
Atom/ODF mapping, something that crossed my mind, we need ODF 1.2
Metadata for this to map categories and other metadata

Best regards,

Bart