oic message

Subject: RE: mail merge interop ?

Thanks Doug,

now that's really interesting as a starting point for discussion.

Actually ODF 1.1 does have some (basic) support for address structures not related to
mail merge: text:sender-* (or 6.3.6 "subsequent authors" in the ODF 1.2 cd1)

Semantically it is limited to "senders" or "authors", so perhaps in ODF-Next it should be
reworked into a more general address structure, and find a way to use it for mail
merges ?

About interoperability, I suppose most of the time you can get away with using
database fields in a fixed order. And as long as the database part is interoperable,
you might have a working solution for most cases.

Trouble begins, of course, when you have to deal with countries that use different
address formats (like "streetname number" vs "number, streetname").
Then you might have to resort to breaking up an address into "address lines" instead
of nicely structured entities...

Best regards,

Bart