oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] New version of interop profile draft

Hi Bernd,

thanks for the feedback, I've added a section on the MIME stream, and a
clause on ODF11i-Doc having to meet all "shalls" in the ODF 1.1 spec.

(Perhaps I should rephrase that, so it reads "shall be a conformant ODF
1.1 document, catching the "must"s etc)

About the thumbnail.png, I'm not sure if that would buy us much in terms
of interoperability:

- "smaller" implementations might not write a thumbnail when saving a doc,
since that might not integrate well in their file saving functionality

- not sure if ODF libraries (think server side report generators) will be able
to easily generate a thumbnail as well

So that would rule out those implementations from being "ODF 1.1 Interop
profile" compliant, while only providing some benefit to e.g. desktop file
managers and file dialog boxes

On the other hand, PNG/SVG previews for embedded objects makes more
sense IMHO:

- smaller implementations might not support those embedded objects, but
are probably capable of handling PNG/SVG (think viewers on smart phones)

- if you're using an ODF library to generate, say, embedded charts, chances
are that this library is also capable of generating a PNG/SVG preview. If not,
it should at least be possible to generate a SVG "by hand"

Perhaps this reasoning is flawed, so I'm very interested in the opinion of the
other members :-)

Best regards,

Bart