oic message

Subject: Re: [oic] interop profile draft: formulas in ODF 1.1

Three main decisions:

1) Namespace
2) Syntax
3) Behaviors

I think we'll all agree that the profile should mandate the use of a
namespace prefix.  In other words, the lack of a prefix altogether is
asking for problems.

As for the other questions, it comes down to this:  If (hypothetically)
everyone was able to support multiple syntaxes and behaviors, then surely
everyone is able to support a single syntax and behavior.  So the
"everyone support everything" option appears to offer no improvement in
interoperability, but greater cost, than the option where we converge on a
single syntax and behavior.

I don't think we want to go down the the path of defining requirements by
reference to a particular product.  We really need a written
specification.

And remember, namespace, syntax and behaviors are all covered in
OpenFormula and are slated to be part of ODF 1.2.  So we have essentially
already solved this problem, at least for implementations which will
implement ODF 1.2.  And since there is nothing in OpenFormula that is tied
to ODF 1.2, and it is in a separate specification, we could apply it to
ODF 1.1, either via an interop profile, or formally in an ODF 1.1 (second
edition).  So the easiest thing might be to do nothing in the interop
profile for now, until OpenFormula is completed.

-Rob