oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] comments regarding teh draft

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I'll add the comments to JIRA
(as separate tickets)

Best regards,

Bart

From: Andreas J Guelzow [aguelzow@math.concordia.ab.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:25 AM
To: oic@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [oic] comments regarding teh draft

My apologies for being so late with this:

These are the comments I have also attached to my vote on the current
ballot:

It should probably be stated somewhere (or did I miss it) that the
section number in chapter 3 refer to the matching section numbers in ODF
1.1.

1.5 second bullet: ODF 1.1 fails to define the term "processing
instruction". It does appear to define "cursor position processing
instruction", but not just "processing instruction". So we eitehr need
to define this here or use a differnt term.
2.2.1 When we say "arbitrary (custom) metadata elements", I believe we
mean "arbitrary user-defined metadata (using the
3.1 first bullet: I believe that this is supposed to refer to the main
meta data, but dc:date and dc:creator at least can also appear in 12.3
Change Tracking Metadata, so it could (and should) justifiably appear
more than once in an ODF11i-Doc.
3.1 sixth bullet: Does this refer only to those within <office:meta>? It
should.
3.1.1 second bullet: Which ODF Implementation? I assume that is should
be the last ODF producer who saved that file. It should say that.
3.1.1: In view of ODF 1.1 3.1.1 "Conforming applications (...) shall not
deliberately implement a different behavior depending on a certain
generator string." What is the point of requiring a <meta:generator>
since a conforming application may not act on it. (I don't understand
how a computer program could do anything that is not deliberate.)
3.1.17 first bullet: An interesting attempt to define a term using
undefined terms. WHat is "total accumulated time spent editing the
document." Since we are talking about ODF11i-Impl, I assume that this
may be accumulated CPU time so it will usually be well less than 1
hour... Or perhaps we are talking about the time the implementation had
focus while the document was open. Or perhaps the total time the
doucment was open. Or....
4.6 first bullet: This is impossible for an implementation that does not
support change tracking. If in such an implementation a user inserts
text in an previously inserted (and tracked) text section, it will have
effectively changed the tracking information since the newly inserted
text has suddenly become part of the earlier insertion. (The
change-tracking information only inserts start and end marker but does
not remember the text. In fact it stores no info that would enable it ti
discover the change.) So at a minimum the part "even if the ...tracking"
should be stricken.
4.6 second bullet: I believe "hide the content of text:tracked-changes"
should be "hide the content of the <text:tracked-changes> element".
8.1.3 first bullet: this appears to be implied by the second bullet
sincethe minimal formula would consist of a namespace prefix folloew by
an equality sign, ie. "gnum="
8.1.3 fifth bullet: WHat happens if this conflicts with the syntax and
semantics defined by the prefix?
9.3.3 first bullet: (I obviously missed the discussion on this, but I
don't see the point especially in view of the fifth bullet.)
9.3.3 second bullet: Why does this say "either(...) or"? Shouldn't it be
allowed in the interest of interoperability to store both an SVG and a
PNG like Gnumeric is currently doing?
10.5 "with a on-empty chart:..." is probably not right.

Revision History:
wd 5: I don't think that "splitted" is an English word. This should read
"split 8.9 Table formula into pre- and post-OFF approval". Note that
there are two changes in this clause.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow