oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2010-03-24 Meeting Minutes

OIC TC 2010-03-24 COORDINATION CALL

Date:  Wednesday 10 March 2010
Time:  13:30 - 14:30 UT

1. LOGISTICS
   ---------

The chat room: <http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic>
 (doesn't count for attendance)

The call-in numbers: <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200903/msg00017.html>
Meeting agendas also provide the pass codes and the call-in numbers:
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201003/msg00041.html>

The action items (log-in required):
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php>

1.1 ROLL CALL AND QUORUM CHECK
Six of the 10 Voting Members were required for a quorum.  At the initial roll call, there were only 3/10.  The agenda was used as a structure for discussions without any action until three additional Voting Members had arrived.  At that point, the agenda was worked through officially.

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
    * Donald Harbison, IBM
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
    * Andreas Guelzow, Individual
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (Secretary)
      Cherie Ekholm, Microsoft
      Bernd Eilers, Sun Microsystems
    * Louis Suarez-Potts, Sun Microsystems

      [* = Voting Members at late start of meeting (6)
       + = becoming Voting Member at conclusion of meeting (0)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (0)]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Xiaohong Dong, Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software
      Shuran Hua, Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
      Jeremy Allison, Google Inc.
    * Robert Weir, IBM
      Peter Junge, Individual
      Thorsten Zachmann, Individual
    * Hideki Hiura, Just Systems
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
      Eric Patterson, Microsoft
    - Alan Clark, Novell
    * Andrew Rist, Oracle
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
    = Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems
      Daniel Rentz, Sun Microsystems
    = Svante Schubert, Sun Microsystems
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member at start and end of meeting (3)
       - = Voting Member becoming non-voting Member at end of meeting (1)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (2)]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES

Minutes for the 2010-03-10 Meeting, approved without objection
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201003/msg00022.html>

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA: approved without objection
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201003/msg00041.html>

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS

#0015 Template Scenarios.  Still on hold.

#0026-0027.  Cherie reported that Microsoft is working on test cases to be made public.  There is no public timeline and availability is not likely to intercept the Granada plugfest in April 2010.  Cherie will report more information when it becomes available.

#0033 Best Practices for Document Authors.  No report.

#0034 Interop Demo Videos.  Louis reports that there is movement, but nothing to show for it yet.  There may be something soon, perhaps in conjunction with Document Freedom Day, Wednesday 2010-03-31,
<http://www.documentfreedom.org/>.  (See the roundtable, item 6)

#0037 ODF Plugfest Spain. On today's agenda (item 5, below)

#0038 Clean OTT specification template.  Bart explained the problem of getting consistency and the desire for a new, pristine version of the template.  Not started yet.

3. STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY REPORT
Bart reported that there has been no feedback on JIRA or the comment list so far in the Public Review of State of Interoperability Version 1.0 CD04.  (The 60-day public review ends on 2010-05-08.)

4. ODF 1.1 INTEROPERABILITY PROFILE
Cherie has had an on-list discussion on what the target of the profile is. She reported that she is still concerned about calling it a profile for "desktop personal productivity applications" since that is not an used term and it doesn't sound to her as different from what the main ODF specification is about.  Further discussion is needed.
   The approved ODF 1.1 Interoperability Profile CD02 was sent back by the TC Administrator for modifications before it could be sent out for Public Review.  The changes necessary are ones that necessitate approval of a new Committee Draft.  Bart Hanssens has prepared CD-2-rev02 with those changes.
   Since a new CD needs to be approved, Dennis asked whether we should be processing the current JIRA issues and any new ones to have that next CD.  It was concluded that we should process any issues that we have for the next CD.  Cherie Ekholm will see what can be provided by way of JIRA Issue that reflects her concerns so we can manage the resolution.

5. ODF PLUGFEST IN SPAIN
< http://plugfest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=plugfests:201004_granada:info>
The next Plugfest will be in Granada, Spain, on April 15-17.

Bart reported that there was nothing tangible to submit just yet.  We talked about OpenFormula testing and the codefest that might be also be targeted at intercepting the plugfest event in some way.  Louis suggested that we should have a meeting next week and/or have an e-mail reminder to our members now in Stockholm that there might be ideas to work out in e-mail before that event.
  In further discussion, Dennis obtained confirmation of our understanding that there is nothing for us to do as the OIC TC with regard to the plugfest, but that OIC TC participants are encouraged to make contributions and suggestions.
  It was mentioned that Rob Weir has a spreadsheet that was used to exercise various functions at the previous plugfest and an updated exercise with that might be useful.
  In regard to a potential codefest of exploratory implementations of functions in OpenFormula, we considered what would be a good choice of functions to suggest as illuminating.  We were talking about functions such as YEARFRAC that demonstrate some important principle and that are relied on in support of the definition of many other functions.  This questions seems like a good one to take to the TC list for discussion and suggestions.
  Bart brought up the prospect of anticipating the OASIS Interop Demo that will be required at some point before an approved OASIS ODF 1.2 Standard can be submitted to ISO/IEC JTC1 for adoption as an International Standard.  It was not clear how Plugfest efforts could connect to that, even though we've though that having the events co-located would have important ceremonial value and some of the same participants.

6. ROUND TABLE

6.1 Document Freedom Day <http://www.documentfreedom.org/>
  Louis mentioned Document Freedom Day at the end of March.  He was looking for placement of promotional links, perhaps on the OIC TC page.  We asked Don Harbison if there would be anything on the ODF Adoption TC page; he said it will be on the xml.org site, not the TC page.  We took no action.

6.2 Forthcoming OOoCon2010 <http://conference.services.openoffice.org/index.php/ooocon/2010>
<http://conference.services.openoffice.org/index.php/ooocon/2010>

  Louis also suggested that we could arrange a Plugfest in conjunction with OOoCon 2010 in Budapest, Hungary, on 2010-08-31 to 2010-09-03.  The dates seem better than the ones for the Orvieto OOoCon 2009.  His idea is that we could arrange an ODF-focused plugfest to be collocated and held one or two days in advance of OOoCon 2010.

  It will be necessary start planning for this, determining arrangements and hosting, etc.

6.3 Brussels Plugfest, 2010-10-14 and -15.
  Bart mentioned that there will be a Brussels Plugfest, like the one in Granada in April and the one at The Hague in 2009.

7. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

The next meeting will be on April 7 and at the same time (1330-1430 UT).  European members must remember to adjust for their having gone on Summer Time by then.

8. END OF MEETING
The meeting was adjourned at 1415 UT.

Respectfully submitted,

 - Dennis E. Hamilton