oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2010-11-17 Meeting Minutes

OIC COORDINATION CALL
Date:  Wednesday 17 November 2010
Time:  14:30 - 15:30 UT

1. LOGISTICS
   ---------

The chat room: <http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic>
 (doesn't count for attendance)

The call-in numbers: <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200903/msg00017.html>
Meeting agendas also provide the pass codes and the call-in numbers:
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201011/msg00006.html>

The action items (log-in required):
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php>

1.1 ROLL CALL AND QUORUM CHECK
7 of 9 Voting members attended, satisfying the 5 of 9 requirement for a quorum.

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
    * Don Harbison, IBM
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
    * Andreas Guelzow, Individual
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (Secretary)
    * Cherie Ekholm, Microsoft
    * Louis Suarez-Potts, Oracle Corporation

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting (7)
       + = becoming Voting Member at conclusion of meeting (0)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (0)]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
      Jeremy Allison, Google Inc.
    * Robert Weir, IBM
      Peter Junge, Individual
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
      Eric Patterson, Microsoft
      Alan Clark, Novell
    = Michael Brauer, Oracle Corporation
    * Bernd Eilers, Oracle Corporation
      Daniel Rentz, Oracle Corporation
      Andrew Rist, Oracle Corporation
    = Svante Schubert, Oracle Corporation
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member at start and end of meeting (2)
       - = Voting Member becoming non-voting Member at end of meeting (0)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (2)]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES

Minutes for the 2010-11-03 Meeting, accepted without objection
 <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201011/msg00005.html>

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA: accepted without objection after addition of a Membership topic following the Status of Action Items.
 <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201011/msg00006.html>

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS

  #0015 Template Scenarios.  No progress.
  #0026 Test Scenarios.  In progress.
  #0033 Best Practices for Document Authors.  No report.
  #0034 Interop Demo Videos.  - The Hungarian team has sent a 1.2GB video of the InteropDemo so it can be edited for marketing purposes by the ODF Adoption TC.  This could be posted on YouTube.
   There is a recording of the Brussels Plugfest that Bart has.  It is 18GB and needs to be edited.
   Bart will copy his DVDs and send them to Louis or the Hamburg OO.o team for conversion into pieces that can be posted.
  #0041 Battery of ODF 1.2 Feature Probes. No report.

3. REASSESS MEMBERSHIP OF THE COMMITTEE
   Louis requested that we look at cleaning up the roster and also recruiting broader participation.
   We discussed that the OASIS rules determine membership status and there is no obligation to participate in any particular way.  Also, folks might want to keep an eye on the activity without being on the calls and achieving Voting Member status.  It's not clear that any direct outreach by the TC to the silent members on its roster is appropriate.
   With regard to recruiting broader participation, the availability of the "State of Interoperability Report" and more visibility on the Interoperability Advisories might lead to greater attention, perhaps via OIC-comment or, for OASIS members, joining the TC.
   It was proposed that the roster of the Plugfest might serve as a starting point for providing information about the TC and welcoming their participation.  Also, there may be people on the ODF TC roster who are not aware of the OIC activities.
   No specific action was agreed.

4. INTEROP ADVISORIES
   < http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/InteropAdvisories>
   There are no new advisories at this point.
   There has been no feedback on existing advisories.
   There was a question whether we should advance more draft advisories to candidacy before adding more.
   Dennis suggested that we should not hold back on adding more.  This might encourage broader participation if folks saw a topic of interest to them.  Also, it looks like the ODF TC members here are still consumed by the crunch to complete ODF 1.2 CD06 for another Public Review.  Careful review may be difficult to arrange until after that.  That should not inhibit the creation of new draft advisories.
   Bart reported that he did have several in mind.

5. STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY REPORT
   Two typos have been reported in a public comment.  There are extremely minor and we do not propose to fix them.  It has been more than a week since the Public Review completed on November 4.

MOTION: That the OIC TC request balloting of State of ODF Interoperability Version 1.0, CD06, for acceptance as a Committee Specification.
  Moved by Dennis Hamilton.
  Seconded by Louis Suarez-Potts.
  Approved by unanimous consent with no objections.

  Bart will use the submission form to accomplish this.  It was also pointed out that we need to provide a record of the disposition of all public comments received in Public Reviews of this document.  Bart has the action to prepare inputs for the TC Administrator.

6. TEST DOCUMENTS

   6.1 OpenFormula Test Document(s)
   < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201010/msg00039.html>
   There was a question whether there had been any further use of the YEARFRAC test, or any expansion/correction of the test itself.  There was no response.

   6.2 Microsoft Office Documents
   < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201010/msg00026.html>
   We are still awaiting submission to the OIC TC.
   No one indicated that any use of them had been made or whether there was feedback to the OIC or to Microsoft (via Cherie) on these.
   Dennis observed that, in his case and that of others on the OIC TC, we are mostly not concerned with trying out more than 1 or 2 implementations, and there seems to be considerable overlap on what those would naturally be.  For some of us, our contribution would be more in testing the tests than in testing a variety of implementations.  Again, broader participation, either directly or via report to us, would be helpful.

7. ROUND TABLE

We are going to have "Action Plan for 2011" on the agenda of the next meeting.

Bart is talking about a new ODF Plugfest in February or March in the UK just outside of London.  Basil, in the plugfest group, is working on identifying a host.  Dennis cautioned that they miss the XML Prague and SC34 Prague dates in March.

8. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

The next call will be on 2010-12-01.

On that call, we need to decide if it is worthwhile to have any other meeting in December or should we simply leapfrog the holiday season into 2011 (e.g., 12 January).

Respectfully submitted,

  Dennis E. Hamilton, OIC TC Secretary