oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] ODF Convention over Configuration

Hi

> ODF allows a lot of various (style) settings. For example each application has their default styles similar to browsers.
> Does someone remember if there ever were discussions about approximation on any ODF list?

Mm, we did have a discussion during the first plugfest about writing out default settings or not.
IIRC, that was about styling charts:

- should an implementation write out the "default" colors of the different bars ? (one implementation was using blue as default, another one white)
- what about minimum and maximum values for X / Y axis that were automatically set ?

> If those custom style palettes could be gathered and downloaded from a centralized place from the Internet, like OASIS or Maven repository, users would have a much greater flexibility.
> The request to discuss the above is triggered by two problems:
> 1. When I generate ODF components on the server - like a table - what style should be given, if the server should work for various clients / ODF applications.
> 2. If we use this software design paradigm convention over configuration, we could save a lot of network traffic and storage for change-tracking, if we could agree on the mechanism of style palettes.

Reminds me of PDF's "standard" set of fonts that must be available, and maybe some CSS stuff in HTML ?

Best regards

Bart