Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] (1)(f) and (1)(g) -- audience and working language

2008/6/12 Shawn <sgrover@open2space.com>:

> My question is how do we address the "interoperability" issue with regards
> to presentation, if we cannot guarantee the same fonts will be available.
>  Do we make that a condition of testing - all tested platforms have the
> testing font available?  But does that become a meaningless test for an end
> user who encounters this but is not aware of the issue?  After all the
> document will look different, so the "interoperability" test will be a
> failure for that user.  (as a tech/developer, I see obvious answers here -
> i.e. install the font.  But to the general public/end user, this may not be
> so obvious.)
> My apologies if this is off track right now.  But the idea occurred to me
> with the discussion of presentation, and I wanted to get it expressed before
> I forgot about it.

One data point: As an end-user, the interoperability issue that deeply
annoys me between different word processors and presentation software
is layout changes in the same document viewed or printed from
different applications. (That MS Word notoriously doesn't keep this
consistent on the same version of Word on the same OS on different
printers is hair-tearingly frustrating.) Lines ending up on the wrong
page, etc. Pixel-perfect I can live without, line- and word-placement
consistency is another matter.

- d.