Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Acid Tests

--- David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/6/12 Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>:
> > 2008/6/12 Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net>:
>
> >> which means opening a
> >> doc from a website (perhaps a dense, multi-column
> beast with embedded
> >> charts, sheets, etc., or a number of separate
> components/pages) and
> >> comparing it to an image/PDF reference and/or
> uploading a doc to a website
> >> for online analysis. I like David's definition of
> an Acid Test as a
> >> 'comprehensive test [that concisely?] renders the
> results visually in a
> >> manner that makes failures immediately obvious to
> the casual observer' by
> >> the way.
>
> > Foul. That means my mate Steve can't run it
> 'easily'. He's a casual
> > observer. He's blind.
> > No go Sam.
>

> However, a visual test of the visual aspects would
> of course be quite workable.
>
> (And "a casual observer" does not necessarily entail
> "the entire set
> of possible casual observers", but could quite
> workably mean "those
> who could see the results of a visual test."
> Particularly if the
> visual aspect is important to many end users. That
> your mate Steve
> doesn't share their needs does not make their needs
> wrong to
> consider.)

I like the suggestion here
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00201.html
.

I think this means an Oasis related testing group
would provide test subjects. We could specify along
the lines quoted above for a general case or we could
defer to the selection and testing methodology that
would be followed by the official(?) testing group.
Presumably, those with sight (aided or not) would be
the more likely candidates to compose the sample space
for a testing of a visual nature. Each test might tap
into a sample space designed for or compatible with
the specific test.

*******

Separately, I generally like the translation for acid2
from web browser to ODF rendering agents given here by
Sam
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oiic-formation-discuss/200806/msg00192.html