Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] The importance to users of documents looking the same

Slight correction Simon.

2008/6/19 Simon Calderson <caldersons@yahoo.co.uk>:

> As another example, soft page breaks were put into ODF 1.1 (?) because it
> was judged relatively difficult for most apps to be good enough at laying
> out ODF that working out which content was on which page was basically
> impossible. As I understand it, though, if you can repaginate you can throw
> away the soft page breaks - the standard explicitly says you can change the
> layout, even if the content remains the same.

Page breaks were introduced at the request of the accessibility subcommittee.
Sighted people have a habit of referring a reader to the top of page XXX.
Without (software accessible) page breaks, this isn't feasible for a
person reading the instance via audio.

They can be ignored when laid out, but on disk they are there.
At least there is some chance for a blind user to follow your arguments
by finding the right page?