Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Proposed Use case -- Interoperability invertical and horizontal ODF markets

So we're all on the same page, note that ODF 1.1 section 1.5 says "Conforming applications that read and write documents may preserve foreign elements and attributes."

I was mistaken when I said it was a "should", and others were mistaken when they claimed it was a "shall".  It really is a silly statement, one I'd like to see removed in ODF 1.2.  We don't make any similar statement about preserving footnotes, or chart legends or any other content of ODF.  I don't see why we should single out foreign elements and attributes.

In any case, this could be tested in a conformance test and a information message emitted on whether or not the application preserves foreign elements and attributes.  Since this provision is not expressed as a recommendation or requirement, we have no basis (in the standard) for issuing a warning or an error.

More in depth tests of this could be done within interoperability tests.  However, since there are no applications which I am aware of which actually write out foreign elements and attributes, this task would have zero practical effect toward improving interoperability and would tend to be rather low on my priority scale, especially considering that ODF 1.2 will have a much more robust metadata framework.

-Rob

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group