Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] ODF version in the charter, was Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Shawn <sgrover@open2space.com> wrote:
> Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
>>
>> Why do you think so. OASIS TCs operate in the public. ODF specification
>> drafts are publicly available available long before the the specifications
>> get a standard. I therefore see no reason why the OIIC TC could not use them
>> as basis for its work.
>
> -0.9  (thanks for the posting of the Apache process Rob!)
>
> Only real problem I see here is that it would be meaningless for the OIIC TC
> to do its work - creating profiles/atomic tests/etc. for things that are
> likely to change due to something OTHER than the OIIC process.  If we say
> current "official" versions of ODF, we know that version is fixed and can
> look at it in earnest.
>
> If however we allow the draft versions to go through the OIIC process, then
> that process would have to be revisited/rerun, for every iteration of the
> draft.  This leads to meaningless work, and delays the draft version.

Draft usage is normally a special loop hole for TC operation.   Its
only and I repeat only for disputed sections of the standard.
Sections as a TC test create you can see that you cannot create a
valid test case that protects compatibility between implementations.
Like a section that allows applications to add a stack of undocumented
information that can be abused.   Now if what information can be there
is defined in the draft you test for what is in the draft and give
warning messages on anything not so far in the next draft of ODF.

Of course you cannot fail applications on a draft alone.  We are here
to help implementers warning them of trouble coming is fine.

Locking out all draft usage reduces the quality of our overall testing.

Peter Dolding