Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Reason and example arguing for the use of an ODF (or XML) canonical form

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Bart Hanssens <bart.hanssens@skynet.be> wrote:

> ODF 1.1, section 1.5:
>
> "There are no rules regarding the elements and attributes that actually
> have to be supported by conforming applications, except that
> applications should not use foreign elements and attributes for features
> defined in the OpenDocument schema. See also appendix D."

And I really hope section 1.5 gets deleted in ODF 1.2.

It a wild west to compatibility.   Lets add something the format just
different to spec enough to pass but enough that are competition
cannot render it then completely not document it so we have to be the
only used tool.

For compatibility between implementations I don't see were we can up
hold section 1.5 in it current state.   Either tc has to run a master
list of foreign elements to check against and to give a fair playing
field to everyone or we have to blanket report any foreign element as
a possible compatibility issue..

Peter Dolding