openc2-actuator message

Subject: Modification to the stateless-packet-filter profile

All,

Here is my attempt at the language binding in the stateless packet filter profile (located at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CvD4dhnGPsYVYrMoJTIjeQA9vN3i33eqwkhEGRWsBVA/edit# )

First I cooked up a matrix of the actions and targets.

Domain-name

ip-connection

ip-addr

hostname

File

OpenC2

x-config

allow

opt

required

required

opt

deny

opt

required

required

opt

query

required

set

opt

opt

update

opt

delete

opt

save

opt

opt

start

stop

restart

Then I created a subsection for each cell that was populated.  For example:

2.2.1.1 Allow ip-connection

Implementation of the Allow ip-connection command is required.  The command permits traffic that is consistent with the specified ip-connection.  A valid allow ip-connection command has at least one property of the ip-connection populated and may have any combination of the five properties populated.  An unpopulated property within the the ip-connection target must be treated as an ‘all’. NOTE TO SELF, ASK THE FIREWALL GUYS  Table 2.1.1.1 summarizes the allow ip-command as refined by one or more options.

Option

Implement

Description/ effect

response

required

Indicates the type of response required from the firewall.  Valid response types are Ack, Complete and None.  The default is none.

start-time

required

Self explanatory

end-time

required

Self explanatory

respond-to

optional

Identifies where the firewall is to send its response.  QUESTION; CAN THIS BE MORE THAN ONE ENTRY?

Running

required

Setting to TRUE results in an ephemeral allow, i.e. the traffic will be allowed while the firewall is operating, but in the event of a restart, power down or recovery, the allow rule will not be  retained. Default value is FALSE

Persistent

required

Setting to TRUE results in a permanent rule that will be retained in the event of a restart of power down.  Default value is TRUE

interface

required

Possible settings are ingress, egress or both.  Default is both.  Ingress applies the allow to incoming traffic only.  Egress applies to outbound.

Then I did the same for the other targets for allow.

For deny, I admit I got kind of lazy, but there was so much repetition, it looked stupid, so I did this:

2.2.2 Deny

Deny can be treated as mathematical complement to allow.  With the exception of three additional options outlined in table 2.1.2, the targets, specifiers, modifiers and corresponding responses are identical to the four allow commands.

Option

Implement

Description/ effect

Drop

Required

Traffic meeting the criteria of the target specifier(s) is dropped with no other processing.  Default is Drop

Reject

required

Traffic meeting the criteria of the target specifier(s) is dropped and an ICMP host unreachable (or equivalent) is sent to the source address

complete

optional

Traffic meeting the criteria of the target specifier(s) is dropped and receipt of the packet is sent to the source address, i.e. a false acknowledgement

Does this seem like a logical approach?

Thank oyu and please advise

VR

Joe Brule