openc2-actuator message

Subject: Firewall Profile: Start and stop actions

All,

QUESTION ONE:

I am suggesting that we remove the ‘start’ and ‘stop’ actions from this profile.  Do you think we need to include the start and/or stop actions in the 'stateless-packet-filtering' (aka firewall) profile?

QUESTION TWO:

If you believe that the start and/or stop actions are applicable to the firewall profile, please identify if they should be required, optional and suggested target type(s)

BACKGROUND:

The following is NOT consensus attained from the actuator profile subcommittee nor any subset of the subcommittee.  The following is my personal opinion only and request confirmation or rebuttal.

In the context of the stateless-packet-filtering:

I do not see the utility of including these two actions in this profile.  A ‘start’ or ‘stop’ action makes sense when you have a device that has multiple options, functions, tasks, processes etc. but this particular actuator is essentially a single purpose device, so short of taking the firewall offline, what would one ‘start’ or ‘stop’?  Also, I suspect that it would be a rare event indeed to essentially take the firewalls completely offline.

Should we leave out these actions for now?  They can always be added later should we learn from our early implementers that it is in fact needed.

Please advise

VR

Joe B