openc2-actuator message

Subject: Re: [openc2-actuator] Re: Firewall Profile: Set action

Nirmal,

A question or two, for clarity's sake:

* set source ip - the ip of the source or the starting point may change in a regular basis

Would this be the source of traffic we want to DENY or ALLOW? Those commands would seem more appropriate than SET, unless I'm misunderstanding the intent.

* set host properties - in case of Palo Alto and other firewalls, they use host properties (such as from global protect or CounterACT)
* set tags - again Palo Alto, or VMWare NSX, Illumio and others use dynamic tags for firewall rule for policy or segmentation

Both of those sound like something for a more sophisticated actuator than a stateless packet filter.

Dave

David P. Lemire
, CISSP
  OpenC2 Technical Committee Executive Secretary
  OpenC2 Implementation Considerations SC Co-chair
  Contractor support to NSA
Email: dave.lemire@g2-inc.com
Office: 301-575-5190 / Mobile: 240-938-9350

Hope this justifies as a reason to keep “set” operation / action in the firewall profile

Thanks,
Nirmal R.