openc2-actuator message

Subject: Re: [openc2-actuator] Help with 'optional' wording

Duncan,

I agree that this could get confusing and we should come up with some standard way to discuss this distinction.

In the first example "start_time" it seems to me that implementing the command in the actuator was optional, however once the implementation has occurred the command is no longer optional. It either exists or it does not exist as an enumerated possibility.

In the second example "delay" it is assumed that, omitting the command will yield a delay=0 default.

Modifying defaults, to me, seem as more a candidate for the word "optional" as they are ever present. Whereas optional as it relates to implementation is only relevant during the initial implementation discussion phase, once decided it is no longer optional.

How is this for a suggestion: I would say "implementation optional arguments" as oppose to "command optional arguments"

I tried........

V/R