openc2-actuator message

Subject: Opinion against 'update file' in slpf profile

"+1" to including everything in slpf (ie no generic profile until we have more profiles to pick commonality from).

"minus infinity" to including 'update file' in slpf profile.

Is there a use case for 'update file' in slpf? The only slpf use cases I know of are for AWS NACL's (by sFractal and by AT&T) which does not support the concept of 'files' in the actuator. I am against including commands that break the only use cases we have. I'm marginally ok with including ''update file'' as an optional command if someone has a usecase for some slpf device that actually needs it.

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting LLC
iPhone, iTypo, iApologize
I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [openc2-actuator] RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [openc2-actuator]
SLPF: 'Generic' commands
From: "Brule, Joseph M" <jmbrule@radium.ncsc.mil>
Date: Mon, June 25, 2018 9:31 am
To: dave.lemire <dave.lemire@g2-inc.com>
Cc: "openc2-actuator@lists.oasis-open.org"
<openc2-actuator@lists.oasis-open.org>

+1 @ Dave Lemire.

THIS PART IS MY OPINION ONLY;  The notion of a ‘generic’ or ‘common’ profile that everyone and their pet dog needs to import is a reasonable idea, but until we get a few profiles underway, I think identification of the ‘generic commands’ will be based on guesswork rather than analysis. END MY OPINION

For now, can we put the ‘update file’ command in the SLPF?  We are still in the draft phase of the profile (and lang spec for that matter) so will have an opportunity to revisit.

VR

Joe B