openc2-lang message

Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] [openc2-lang] Endangered Species List

All,

In the context of 'kudos to contributing use cases';  +1

In the context of the actions on the 'endangered species list', you may recall that at the last TC monthly, Sounil asked if the actions will be retained (in an annex or whatever).   I do not recall this being resolved in subsequent lang SC meetings.

Question:  Can we have a table of actions, then have another table of 'reserved for future use' or something along those lines?  Seems like a useful alternative to me.

VR

Joe B

-----Original Message-----
From: openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of duncan@sfractal.com
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 6:25 PM
To: openc2-lang <openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org>

Kudo's those contributing usecases, especially Efrain for his recent additions. Reminder that we are looking to defer (ie remove from language spec for now) those actions and targets for which htere are no usecases. We currently have 80 usecases from 8 companies that cover 19 of the 32 actions (ie 13 actions remain on endangered species list) and
16 of 25 targets (ie 9 targets remain on endangered species list).

Personally I think we have enough to move forward and it's ok to defer the 19 actions and 9 targets to 2.0. But if you feel we are removing something you would like included, then please submit a usecase showing the action and/or target you would like kept.

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/openc2-usecases/blob/master/action-target-index.md
has two tables, one mapping actions to use cases and one mapping targets to use cases. As can be seen from those tables, the endangered species list currently consists of:
Actions:
report, notify, pause, resume, set, move, snapshot, save, throttle, delay, substitute, sync, mitigate
Targets:
disk, disk partition, mac_addr, memory, user_account, user_session, volume, x509_certificate, slpff

If I missed a use case (and hence endangered something that shouldn't), please let me know (or do a pull request against the table and fix it).

Duncan Sparrell
sFractal Consulting LLC
iPhone, iTypo, iApologize
I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/