Subject: "Lazy Consensus" for Work Product Updates + 2 Language Specification Pull Requests

TC Members,

BLUF: to facilitate making needed changes to the OpenC2 Language Specification in a timely manner, we are modifying our change management approach for this month, and presenting the first two PRs to be handled using the modified process.

Modified Process:

Our standing working meeting process, as documented in the TC Ops repo, calls for significant changes to work products to be presented at a working meeting and then approved at the subsequent working meeting. Given a very few working meetings in December and our goal to update at least the working version of the Language Specification quickly in support of the upcoming March CAV, we are shifting to an email-focused “lazy consensus” process to be followed by a detailed collective review of these changes at an early January working meeting. This process may also be applied to other work products if needed.

The Apache Software Foundation describes “lazy consensus” as stating an intended change on email with a deadline for objection; if no objections are raised the change is implemented.  “Essentially lazy consensus means that you don’t need to get explicit approval to proceed, but you need to be prepared to listen if someone objects.”  For our present purpose we will adopt a standard review time of 1 week for objecting to proposed work product changes between now and early January.

Two LS PRs:

Leveraging that mechanism, I present two pull requests for the Language Specification:

  1. PR #428: Changes to rely on the JADN Specification; this PR removes or condenses LS content that served to describe our modeling notation when the JADN Specification didn’t exist. The goal is reducing the volume of the LS while retaining readability.
  2. PR #429Appendix B text.  The OASIS template calls for Appendix B to provide “Safety, Security and Privacy Considerations” appropriate to the specification. Our Architecture Specification has an appropriate write-up in Appendix B, and this PR refers the reader back to that document. Note that I’m also proposing this new text become our standard Appendix B so that we don’t need to re-invent material for each new specification.

Assuming no objections are raised during this week, we will merge these changes on Friday (8 December). Please expect you will see additional emails seeking lazy consensus on other changes as they are formalized into PRs. If you would like a summary of the overall set of proposed changes, consult the agenda for the 29 November working meeting, section 4.3.

Respectfully,

Dave

OpenC2 TC Secretary

David Lemire
IA Systems Engineer
Mission Technologies
(301) 575-5190 (o)    (240) 938-9350 (m)
HII.com