opencsa-liaison message

Subject: Minutes of the LSC conf-call on 5/19

1. Roll Call
   Simon Nash, Bryan Aupperle, Martin Chapman, Anish Karmarkar, Sanjay
Patil, Mike Edwards, Jeff Mischkinsky

2. Scribe Assignment
   Sanjay

3. Approval of minutes of 5/12/2008
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/opencsa-liaison/200805/msg00015.htm
   Approved

4. Agenda Bashing
   Approved

5. Issues

a. Namespace for bindings and other extension points
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/opencsa-liaison/200804/msg00010.htm
Discussion thread:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/opencsa-liaison/200805/msg00009.htm
   Lot of discussion happened but no decisions were made. See below for
the raw chat log.

b. Use of Schematron in SCA Specifications
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/opencsa-liaison/200804/msg00006.htm
Discussion on 5/5 conf-call:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/opencsa-liaison/200805/msg00013.htm
   Did not discuss due to lack of time

6. Next Call Schedule
   May 29th is US holiday
   Jun 2nd may conflict with travel plans of members for attending SCA
Assembly/Policy F2F meetings
   Next conf-call schedule to be discussed via email

7. AOB
   None

-----------------------------
Raw chat log:

anish: i see the two as orgthogonal
anish: the two being compatibility and NS

Mike Edwards: These questions alone drive me to favour as few namespaces
as possible
Mike Edwards: anything else rapidly becomes a nightmare

Martin C: i think last week we said no more then 5 namespaces (ish)
would be a nightmare

Mike Edwards: > 1 is already a problem
Mike Edwards: assuming they ever get used together

Martin C: 1 namespace is a problem

Mike Edwards: ;-)

Martin C: for evolution

anish: even if we move in lock step, we'll likely get > 1 namspace and
will have to deal with it

Martin C: agreed

Mike Edwards: Just look at WSDL  & BPEL - very few revisions and even
they cause problems

anish: sanjay, your proposal is interesting (what to do before 1.1 --
keep the same NS regardless of what changes we make, these are interim
revisions)
anish: i remember, during the schema 1.1 days, the W3C CR, PR and
Recommendation had 3 different namespaces and it was a disaster, till
all the tools moved to the Recommendation

Sanjay: yes, the interim versions would just be work-in-progress in that
approach
Sanjay: the assumption being that we (OpenCSA MS) finish our work in
reasonable timeframe

Mike Edwards: Anish - it's that sort of thing that worries me a lot
Mike Edwards: I really don't know who we are helping here

anish: mike, right, that is why i think sanjay's proposal is promising
anish: ... we say that interim versions are just that

Sanjay: the early implementors can clarify their support by pointing to
concrete artifacts (e.g. schema files)

anish: ... no change in NS regardless of whether the changes in the spec
are compatible or not
anish: so, regardless of whether we have fine grained or lock-step, we
have one namespace for assembly 1.1 through out it's life

Mike Edwards: yes, everything before 1.1 final publication could
potentially break stuff from month to month (from CD to CD)
Mike Edwards: it's not nice, but trying to provide this "changing
namespace" solution is a bigger nightmare

anish: if we move lock-step then one NS for all specs for 1.1. If we
don't move lock-step then some 3-5 namespaces for 1.1

Mike Edwards: I think that we should aim to go "final" with 1 namespace

anish: so again, i think there are two separate issues: compatibility
and whether we rev NS for versions before 1.1 and lock-step v.
fine-grained
anish: i said before that we make compatibility stmt, i think maybe we
need to do this only for different final versions (1.1, 1.2, 2.0 ...)

Martin C: im not sure where/why substitution groups got introduced

anish: mike r, i think u are right wrt SG, but I think that is a general
problem with SG and why maybe it is not a good idea to use them
anish: substitution group's type is a QName not a list of QNames, so it
has to be only one

Sanjay: michaleR: all OpenCSA TCs use the common namespace and use fine
grained namespaces post 1.1

anish: scdl has a nice ring to it

Sanjay: For elements used in SCDL file, all SCA TCs use the common
namespace and use fine grained namespaces post 1.1
Sanjay: s: MikeEdwards

anish we're not going to have time to finish this

Mike Edwards: we're going to have to table this discussion

Sanjay: amendment by SimonNash: Whenever an incompatible change is made
to the schema, a new rev of namespace is to be generated
Sanjay: seconded by Martin

Meeting adjourned due to running out of time.