Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office 2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

I understand Rob in the following way:

"If there is an interop problem, let's solve it. Identify the root cause,
fix it. If the root cause is ambiguity in the ODF standard, it should get
fixed in the standard using the normal processes. But interop wins over
standard amendments."

And I fully support that. I would call it the difference between a living
standard or an authority driven standstill. If the applications can be fixed
by using the same interpretation of the standard, if this common
understanding is published so that other implementors can fix the same issue
by using the same interpretation, we have solved a poblem by cooperating.

This is the way it should be. This is the way we worked at the Plugfest.
It's the implementors that drive the standard. Not the theoretical experts
IMHO. And that is why I value implementors higher.

Which brings us back to the original question that started the discussion -
in this case John has problems using an OOo document with MS Office 2007
SP2.

First he should inform the vendors and they should talk to the TC, OIC if
needed. Becauae effectively the implementors will have to fix their
products. John can "only" assist by testing, he *couldA help patching OOo if
needed as it is Open Source, but he would not gain much from talking to the
TC.

Jan
--
Jan H Wildeboer          |
EMEA Open Source Affairs | Office: +49 (0)89 205071-207

Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Otto-Hahn-Strasse 20, 85609 Dornach bei Muenchen
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 153243
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Brendan Lane,Charlie Peters,Michael Cunningham,
Charles Cachera