orms message

Subject: fyi: Manifesto for the Reputation Society

Manifesto for the Reputation Society by Hassan Masum and Yi–Cheng Zhang
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue9_7/masum/

Abstract

Information overload, challenges of evaluating quality, and the opportunity to
benefit from experiences of others have spurred the development of reputation
systems. Most Internet sites which mediate between large numbers of people use
some form of reputation mechanism: Slashdot, eBay, ePinions, Amazon, and Google
all make use of collaborative filtering, recommender systems, or shared
judgements of quality.

But we suggest the potential utility of reputation services is far greater,
touching nearly every aspect of society. By leveraging our limited and local
human judgement power with collective networked filtering, it is possible to
promote an interconnected ecology of socially beneficial reputation systems —
to restrain the baser side of human nature, while unleashing positive social
changes and enabling the realization of ever higher goals.
Contents

Introduction
Communicating with peers
Filtering