orms message

Subject: Re: [orms] Agenda: ORMS TC Telecon 2-3PM PT Wednesday 2009-10-28

Hi,

I wrote the "e-auction seller reputation system" use case.
It has only three labels(background, actors, description).
I guess we need to decide a format to capture other use cases.

Tatsuki

----
Use case name: e-auction seller reputation system

Background:

 In Internet commerce, reputation systems in Internet commerce are large-scale word of mouth networks to build "trust" among many members in a community. Since the members' identifers are often publicly available in commerce sites, almost all Internet commerce sites allow the members to use pseudonyms as their identity.

 It is difficult to use traditional means to build reputation on the Internet because of its characteristics. Therefore, new ways of building reputation in the Internet have emerged instead of traditional ones. For example, eBay, the largiest online auction site, developed the ingenious reputation system which lets buyers and sellers to evaluate each other and provides buyers information to see if sellers are trustworthy before some transactions occur. Other reputation systems work in similar manners.

 It is no doubt that such reputation systems have helped adoption of Internet commerce; however,
each reputation system in a different commerce site is proprietaty.  The lack of portability of reputation data from one system to another may be one of reasons priventing current reputation system from futher innovation.

Actors:

 Buyers, Sellers, Reputation System, Relaying party (of the system)

 A buyer can check a seller's reputation which is collection of feedback from other buyers based on past transactions before the buyer desiced to do any transactions with the seller. The reputation system in the an auction site provides the buyer a feature to show sellers' reputation while he/she looks for products at the site.

 A buyer evaluates a seller on the reputation system in an auction site after the transaction is completed. The buyer is allowed to grade the seller with a simple scale like good/bad or 1 through 5. The system gathers and aggregates the grades about the same seller from many different buyers, and show the calculated result as a score. How to caluclate and show score varies in each site.

 If a seller wishes to export its reputation information in the system to external relying parties, it should be able to do so. To make the information valuable to outside of the system, buyers are identifiable. Other attributes can be included however they must be protected if they are sensitive information. In that case, data encryption and digital signature may be desired solutions.