oslc-automation message

Subject: Plans for Automation v3 (Responses requested)

Hello all,

Firstly, sorry for not getting this TC restarted for the whole first twelfth of the year!
Also welcome to our new member Michael Kristan from MITRE, and new observer!

I am aware of three threads of interest in this committee:
1. Bringing OSLC Automation in to line with OSLC Core v3.
2. Applying OSLC Automation to other domains, such as Systems Engineering and High Availability.
3. New scenarios, such as my deployment/DevOps one.

1.
My perception is that re-writing OSLC Automation to bring it in line to Core v3 would be a lot of work. While I would be interested in seeing it done, I do not have a lot of time to put into doing that. (If anyone else does have the time, and values it enough, then please say so.) Instead, my proposal is that we publish a note describing how to use Automation 2.1 with Core 3.0 - in particular, using Core 3.0 discovery mechanisms - without re-writing anything that doesn't change from 2.1. Hopefully this should reduce the amount of work needed, while still providing a way for OSLC Servers to use Automation in a v3 environment.

How do you, the rest of the members of the group, feel about that?

2.
Regarding applying OSLC Automation to other domains, I am not aware of any changes that are needed to the Automation spec to allow this. We could make it easier by writing a note giving guidelines on how to approach this, but I'm not sure what the demand for this would be.

3.
The final point about new scenarios is the one I am most interested in. However, I do not believe we can make progress in this without implementations attempting them. I would like to avoid re-writing the entire OSLC Automation spec for v3 to attempt to free up some time to work on an implementation, which may in time feed back requirements to this group.

Let me know your thoughts on these issues, and anything else relating to the next steps this group takes.

Martin Pain
OASIS OSLC Automation TC Chair

P.S. If any of you feel that you could drive the work to writing an entire Automation v3 spec, but would find it easier if you were the TC chair, I would be happy to hand the chairship over to you. On the other hand, if you feel you could be the driving force behind that work but only as long as you didn't have to manage any overhead of chairship (there isn't much) then I'm happy to continue chairing but have you manage the work on that spec.

Unless stated otherwise above: