oslc-ccm message

Subject: Re: [oslc-ccm] Chanage management types and properties

Feedback included inline below...

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

> From: Samuel Padgett/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
> To: oslc-ccm@lists.oasis-open.org
> Date: 03/12/2014 09:56 AM
> Subject: [oslc-ccm] Chanage management types and properties
> Sent by: <oslc-ccm@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
> I've asked Nick to add a topic to tomorrow's CCM call to discuss the
> following questions on change management types. I thought I'd weigh in
> before the meeting to start the discussion.
>

> 1. Should we have a common parent ChangeRequest that other types
subclass?

> I propose we don't. For one, the Task and ReviewTask types are not
> necessarily change requests. We could call it something else, but what
would
> that be? Second, it's not clear to me what the value really is. You can
> infer that a defect is a change request if it's a subclass, but I'm not
sure
> what use case that supports.
>
> Considering backwards compatibility: providers can declare resources
using
> both the new 3.0 type and the 2.0 change request type for compatibility
with
> 2.0 consumers. If we make the new types sublasses of change request,
what is
> the impact?

+1

I think it doesn't make sense to bake the "is a" hierarchy requirement.
Instead implementations can simply multi-type their resources wherever it
makes sense.

> 2. Should we have a list of common properties for all types or define
> properties for each type?
>
> I suggest we have one list of common change management properties. Most
> types have the same properties with only a few that might be specific to
> type (like severity for defect). You can see this when you look at our
> spreadsheet that catalogs the properties in real change management
tools.

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?
> key=0AsgaoPBj7epTdGotZjBsY19HZTJrS3dZRDJHbExQSlE&hl=en#gid=0

+1

Follows DRY principles (Don't Repeat Yourself), even if Resource Shapes do
not support this type of reuse today.  I have given that as a use case for
future Resource Shape development.