oslc-ccm message

Subject: Change Management vocabulary questions

CCM TC members,
I'm in the process of replacing section 4, "CM Resource Definitions" in the Change Management specification (https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/oslc-core/trunk/specs/change-mgt/change-mgt.html) with a reference to the updated CM 3.0 vocabulary and resource shapes. It looks like Steve Speicher started this work but didn't quite complete it. As a result, I have some questions that some of you may be able to answer, or that we can discuss and resolve in some subsequent CCM TC meeting.

I created a change-mgt-vocab.ttl file by converting the RDF/XML file at http://open-services.net/ns/cmto Turtle. change-mgt-resources.html is one of the multi-part specifications for Change Management, and describes the vocabulary terms and constraints using ReSpec to generate the HTML from change-mgt-vocab.ttl and change-mgt-shapes.ttl.

Following Nick's lead for Configuration Management, I removed all the rdfs:seeAlso predicates from this file since it is now part of the multi-part specification that would be referenced.

Here are the specific issues:

1. CM2.0 defines property oslc_cm:status and defines a number of enumeration literal URIs for the values. CM3.0 defines oslc_cm:state and appears to be in the process of using OSLC 2.0 Actions to define the values and permissible state changes. This will create an incompatibility with CM2.0. Do we want to do this, or is compatibility more important than richer state management in the vocabulary? Or do we need to include both?

2. OSLC vocabulary guidance best practices recommend creating URIs for enumeration literals (or individuals) for property values, e.g.,
oslc_cm:closed
  rdfs:isDefinedBy oslc_cm: ;
  rdfs:label "closed" ;
  rdfs:comment """Whether or not the Change Request is completely done, no
            further fixes or fix verification is needed.""" .
The CM3.0 spec has tables that describe Resources: State, Priority and Severity that list these individuals. But there is no way in the vocabulary or shapes to associate a list of individuals with a property value.

What is the convention for documenting these enumeration values for properties in the specifications? Is there any convention for using ReSpec to handle enumeration types and enumeration literals?

3. There are many deprecated relationship properties defined in CM2.0 that are not currently included in the draft CM3.0 spec or resource shapes. These include: testedByTestCase, affestsTestResults, blocksTestExecutionREcord, relatedTestExecutionREcord, relatedTestCase, relatedTestPlan, relatedTestScript. Can these be safely removed from CM3.0 vocabulary without creating compatibility issues?

4. There are some individuals defined in the CM2.0 vocabulary that specify values for oslc:usage, e.g.,
oslc_cm:task
  rdfs:isDefinedBy oslc_cm: ;
  rdfs:label "task" ;
  rdfs:comment """used by QM and PPM tools for associating change requests
            into executable and track-able items.""" .
Should these individuals continue to be provided in CM3.0 given that there are now specific classes defined for some of these usage patterns?
oslc_cm:Task
  a rdfs:Class, oslc_cm:ChangeRequest ;
  rdfs:isDefinedBy oslc_cm: ;
  rdfs:label "Task" ;
  rdfs:comment """An executable and trackable activity. Tasks can be used in many context. A
    QM tool that create tasks to write test plans and test cases is one example.""" .

5. CM2.0 defined oslc:usage individuals for planItem and requirementsChangeRequest, but there are no corresponding new rdfs:Classes in the CM3.0 vocabulary. Are these needed?

6. Notice that I used multiple inheritance to indicate a Task is and RDFS Class and a ChangeRequest (I have to include the redundant rdfs:Class to get ReSpec to include the item). Is this OK?

Jim Amsden, Senior Technical Staff Member
OSLC and Linked Lifecycle Data
919-525-6575