Subject: Re: [oslc-core] version management of OSLC specifications

Hi Axel,

Some responses below.

www.omg.org/sysml/block/1.3) . On the other hand, we also think that it is
http://www.omg.org/sysml/block
> ) which identifies the concept independent of any specific version since
> there will be web clients which are not interested in knowing the specific
> version of a resource type. Our current idea is to include in the resource
> description of a SysML element a reference to the generic resource type URI as well as
> the version-specific resource type URI. This would allow web clients to very
> easily know the version-specific type URI as well as the generic type URI.

The approach we are heading with OSLC is that there won't be incompatible OSLC vocabulary changes.  Classes, properties and individuals have their own URI and mature on their own timeline defined by the TC that owns them.

Regarding resource shapes, which indicate the whole of a resource instance and constraints on that resource, it would be conceivable that each shape instance would have its own separate URI.  These shapes could be published by organizations with a large company regarding some organizational agreements on resources, or could be defined by standards such as OSLC, or could be tool instance specific.

If the SysML version model is to mint a new namespace URI per version, then seems like you could treat the URIs as being opaque and model any higher-level concepts using vocabulary such as http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-isVersionOf
I confess I don't understand the point about what the web client is interested in or not.  Though I do agree, that if it is valuable for the client to have both statements at once it could reduce roundtrips.

> As we are interested in adopting an approach which is aligned with other
> OSLC specifications, I would like to know your perspective on this issue. I
> have cc'ed Parham Vasaiely from Airbus and James Conallen from IBM who have
> participated in our OSLC4MBSE discussions. They may reformulate our approach
> if I haven't expressed the concern clearly enough.

I might suggest that you contribute your use case to https://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/VocabUseCases and we can put on agenda https://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/Meetings/Telecon2014.01.09 for upcoming meeting to flush out any details.  I have some I'd like to contribute by Thursday as well.

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

www.koneksys.com