Subject: Re: [oslc-core] 'Compacts' link and use of 'Prefer' request header

For completeness, I referenced a mysterious new HTTP status code, namely
209 [1].  It is currently being proposed and its fate is unknown.  It has
promise and a good amount of supporters.

[1] - http://www.w3.org/2014/02/2xx/draft-prudhommeaux-http-status-209.xml

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

<oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org> wrote on 03/20/2014 07:51:47 AM:

> From: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
> To: oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org
> Date: 03/20/2014 07:52 AM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] 'Compacts' link and use of 'Prefer' request
header
> Sent by: <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
> > From: Martin P Pain <martinpain@uk.ibm.com>
> > To: oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org
> > Date: 03/20/2014 06:52 AM
> > Subject: [oslc-core] 'Compacts' link and use of 'Prefer' request
header
> > Sent by: <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
> >
> > I won't be available for the beginning of today's Core meeting (due to

> the
> > clock change causing a conflict for me), but I have some comments to
> contribute:
> >
> > 1. Version 18 of the draft for the 'Prefer' request header [1] states
> > "implementors ... SHOULD NOT use the Prefer header mechanism for
content

> > negotiation". It seems to me that we would be using this for content
> > negotiation. (Not that I have a better suggestion, it still sounds
> better to
> > me than using Content-Type).
> >

> That is true if what we are doing is considered the same resource.  I
> believe what we are saying is there are 2 resources, and always have,
THE
> resource and the related Compact resource.
>
> > 2. Secondly, I've come across the idea in other RDF/semantic web
> writings of
> > using one URI to identify a resource and a different URI to identify
the

> > document (informational resource(?)) that describes it (if the main
> resource
> > is not itself the information resource describing itself) . e.g. this
is

> > mentioned in [2]. This is something I noticed did not seem to be
> addressed
> > or mentioned in OSLC 2.0, in particular with the compact
representation.

> > If we add this 'compacts' link then I presume it would link from the
URI