Subject: Minutes for 3 April 2014

The minutes are now available for review:
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/Meetings/Telecon2014.04.03
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Software Standards Architect - IBM Software Group

Minutes
Chair
Arnaud J Le Hors (IBM)
Scribe
Nick Crossley (IBM)
Attendees
Anaud Le Hors (IBM), Harish Krishnaswamy (Software AG), Ian Green (IBM), Jim Conallen (IBM), John Arwe (IBM), Martin Pain (IBM), Nick Crossley (IBM), Sam Padgett (IBM), Steve Speicher (IBM)
Resolutions Actions Original Chat transcript from room: oslc

Chat transcript from room: oslc

2014-04-03 GMT-08:00 (Timestamps below are US Pacific)

Roll Call

[07:10] Arnaud J Le Hors (IBM): roll call: Anaud Le Hors (IBM) Harish K (Software AG) ian green jim conallen (IBM) John Arwe (IBM) Martin Pain (IBM) Nick Crossley (IBM) Sam Padgett (IBM) Steve Speicher (IBM)

[07:11] Nick Crossley (IBM): + Bill Chown

Approval of minutes of last meeting (March 20)

[07:12] Nick Crossley (IBM): Arnaud proposed and Ian seconded approval of minutes - no objections - minutes approved

[07:13] ian green: Martin approved (I believe), rather than Ian

Next call

[07:14] Nick Crossley (IBM): In two weeks from now, date for next scheduled meeting, Arnaud, Steve and others have a conflict with an LDP meeting

[07:15] Nick Crossley (IBM): Discussion about rescheduling, or skipping that meeting

[07:16] Nick Crossley (IBM): Steve proposed we cancel the official call, but any member could schedule a working discussion if they wanted

[07:17] Nick Crossley (IBM): Arnaud seconded - no objection. We'll keep the time slot reserved for members who wish to use it.

Spec authoring and author's handbook

[07:19] Nick Crossley (IBM): Steve has an updated template that removes much of the W3C stuff - doesn't yet perfectly match OASIS - not yet reviewed or approved by OASIS staff.

[07:20] Nick Crossley (IBM): Currently lives in Steve's public Git repository - anyone can clone if they wish.

[07:21] Steve Speicher (IBM): Current respec is in my github repo https://github.com/sspeiche/respec

Document and Specification Roadmap checkpoint

[07:22] Nick Crossley (IBM): Switching agenda to match Steve's availability on call - Document and Specification Roadmap checkpoint

[07:24] Nick Crossley (IBM): Steve: suggests mini-plan for each document

[07:26] Nick Crossley (IBM): Steve: in many cases, documents will become available in a sequence based on the author's free time, rather than reflecting a real dependency between said documents

[07:27] Nick Crossley (IBM): Arnaud - important part of the roadmap is the iterations section

[07:32] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick: asked about extending the preview and picker dialogs to handle configuration contexts - is this something that should be discussed in Core or CCM TCs?

[07:32] Nick Crossley (IBM): Ian/Steve - we need to identify the use cases, and then discuss which TC should define the extension

Core foundational spec

[07:34] Nick Crossley (IBM): Steve - no significant progress to report on Core foundational spec - stub has been committed to repo

[07:34] Nick Crossley (IBM): Steve had to drop

Resource Preview

[07:36] Nick Crossley (IBM): Sam reports on progress with Resource Preview spec.

[07:37] Nick Crossley (IBM): Examples of JSON now included

[07:37] Sam Padgett (IBM): http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/oslc-core/specs/resource-preview.html

[07:39] Nick Crossley (IBM): John - we should ask OASIS staff about namespaces and media types, etc. X-* media type and naming strategy is deprecated.

[07:40] Nick Crossley (IBM): X- prefix is for experimental work, and therefore should not be used in official standards (John points out that what is 'standard' depends on the point of view!)

[07:42] Nick Crossley (IBM): We should email IETF to register proposed names

[07:44] Nick Crossley (IBM): Ian asked whether we should use the Prefer header instead of Accept - Sam has not yet made this change, but awaits consensus on those two approaches

[07:46] Nick Crossley (IBM): Sam: should context be inline or referenced in a link header? Is this a MAY, SHOULD, MUST, ...?

[07:48] Nick Crossley (IBM): Ian & Arnaud prefer tighter standards (MUSTs) to improve interoperability

[07:49] jim conallen (IBM): I agree, start with MUST, then justify why we need to relax that

[07:52] Nick Crossley (IBM): Discussion about whether the clients are browsers or non-browsers, and whether or not full JSON-LD is required, size of and complexity of parsing JSON-LD

[07:54] Nick Crossley (IBM): Sam prefers to avoid middle grounds, where the content is JSON that is not simple JSON but a specific limited form of JSON-LD (as in the 2.0 spec and its restricted form of RDF/XML)

[07:55] Nick Crossley (IBM): Ian/Sam: so we should have two media types - simple JSON and JSON-LD

[07:55] Nick Crossley (IBM): But John points out that JSON-LD would be a valid response for media type JSON

[07:56] Nick Crossley (IBM): And also that the server might not honor the media type anyway

[08:00] ian green14: sorry but I need to drop from the call now. cheerio

[08:01] Nick Crossley (IBM): Arnaud - should the media type be json-ld+oscl?

[08:03] Nick Crossley (IBM): Sam - two approaches:

[08:03] Nick Crossley (IBM): 1. Consumed in browser - here's the JSON

[08:04] Nick Crossley (IBM): 2. Programmatic - use JSON-LD or Turtle?

[08:05] Nick Crossley (IBM): John thinks use case #1 is very important

[08:07] Nick Crossley (IBM): Arnaud - be consistent with web architecture - support both JSON and RDF in the form of JSON-LD or Turtle

[08:09] Nick Crossley (IBM): Discussion about how difficult it is to process arbitrary JSON-LD in a browser, and how necessary it is to have a _javascript_ library to help parse it

Actions spec

[08:15] Nick Crossley (IBM): John: not yet on OASIS site, so current document can only be reviewed on OSLC site

[08:16] Nick Crossley (IBM): Arnaud - we need to get that spec submitted

[08:16] Nick Crossley (IBM): John - the document is not yet final

[08:18] Nick Crossley (IBM): John - we will not move the document in-flight from open-services.net to OASIS because that would cause problems with Automation 2.1

[08:19] Nick Crossley (IBM): John - finalize at open-services.net then move, possibly in June? Sam - looking at a similar schedule for Change 3.0

Any other business

[08:20] Nick Crossley (IBM): Arnaud - request for any other business?

[08:20] Nick Crossley (IBM): None heard

[08:20] John Arwe (IBM): I think OASIS OSLC CM would want the contribution to Core by mid-May

Adjourn

[08:20] Nick Crossley (IBM): Adjourned