Subject: RE: [pkcs11] CKA_PUBLIC_KEY_INFO

Michael,

Based on this proposal, it appears that now every token that wants to work with public keys will be required to have DER encoding/decoding functions for all public keys.  In the (somewhat distant) past, specific care was given to support tokens which only needed to work with the objects themselves by ensuring that the standard did not force tokens to implement DER/BER encoding rules (many reasons for this).  Is there a way in which we could support having this field default to "empty" so that tokens are not forced to DER encode their public keys if they don't want to?  That way, tokens can support the field, or choose not to.

Thanks,

Bob