Subject: RE: [pkcs11] Updated CKA_PUBLIC_KEY_INFO

Peter,

I think the term 'unusable' is a bit of hyperbole -- I'd bet if P11 were indeed 'unusable', we wouldn't be having this discussion.

P11 is quite clear in its usage requirements with respect to asymmetric operations:

* If you need to do public key operations, you need a public key object and handle to that object,
* If you need to do private key operations, you need a private key object and handle to that object,
* If you need to do both public and private key operations, you need both a public and private key object as well as handles to both objects.

It's pretty cut-and-dry -- and fairly usable, at least in my experience.

What you're describing is a use case which says, "I only have a private key object, how might I perform public key operations?"  I can honestly say that in my 16 years of dealing with application developers and customers, I have yet to have a single one say that it's a problem that they can't do public key operations with only a private key.

Now I do sense that you and Mike are pretty passionate about this and that you have real problems you're trying to solve for your customers, and I respect that.  I understand it's a real problem for you -- I get it.  I'm not trying to be a barrier to either of you personally, I just believe that the use case has a more elegant solution which should be explored and might be more fundamental than we have time for in a 2.40 release.  Bolting on a solution so we have a quick fix just doesn't feel right to me.

Furthermore, I'm quite comfortable with being wrong (just ask my wife!), so if I'm in the minority here, that's ok -- that's how these discussions are supposed to work -- we're free to express our opinions and thoughts and the group ultimately decides from there.  I've spoken my peace and I'll be happy with whatever the group decides -- honest.

So from a "put up or shut up" perspective, I say move for a vote on the proposal and we'll take it from there.  If it's approved, I'll advocate for adding it to the 'implement for our 2.40 p11 update'; if it's not, then I'm willing to help explore alternatives for a follow on 2.50/2.XX update.

Thanks for the dialog,

Bob