Subject: RE: [pkcs11] Groups - Proposal for Secure Key Import using an RSA key uploaded

Hi  Tim.

Thanks for the comment also in the call .

The main intention for the new mechanism is for the import of an asymmetric keys.  The motivation is associated with Padding Oracle attacks.  Specifically, for symmetric key import, the use of RSA OAEP mitigates that attack risk, however due to length limits , RSA OAEP it cannot be used to import a private RSA key . Therefore, the new compound mechanism proposal comes up .

I prefer not limiting the use of the new mechanism to asymmetric keys and hoping to allow any key to be imported .  So, given the wrapping of the key may be done by one implementation and the unwrapping by a different implementation,  Mike and I added this recommendation, to provide guidance and interoperability for the formats.

While I agree it’s  unusual , it still seems to be valid for an implementation to be useful.  Having said that  , the options that I see moving forward are :

1.       Leave the recommendation /guidance as is

2.       Provide a different format recommendation for symmetric keys

3.       Eliminate the format recommendation from the spec for symmetric keys  and leave it to the implementation decision

4.       Eliminate format recommendations from the spec (regardless of symmetric or asymmetric) and leave it to the implementation decision

5.       Limit the new mechanism strictly for wrap and unwrap of asymmetric keys

Any other options that I missed ?

Regards

Doron