Subject: RE: [pkcs11] Groups - GCM and CCM iv/nonce token generated for wrapping uploaded

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for the feed back, I will try to address your comments before the next TC if possible.

I like your proposal and will change the naming to C_WrapKeyAuthenticated C_UnWrapKeyAuthenticated this I think has better meaning. And Wrapping and unwrapping is a bit different to SignMessage/EncryptMessage

Thanks

Hamish

From: Dieter Bong <Dieter.Bong@utimaco.com>
Sent: 10 March 2023 4:06 PM
To: Hamish Cameron <Hamish.Cameron@entrust.com>; pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org

WARNING: This email originated outside of Entrust.
DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi Hamish,

Overall the proposal looks good to me, thanks for that.

I noticed a few sections which have probably been copy-pasted from the AES GCM/CCM encrypt/decrypt specification but still need small updates to make them fit for key (un-)wrapping:

  • Section 1.3.3, steps for wrap and unwrap: “Set pTag …” is missing as steps between last and 2nd-to-last bullet, isn’t it?
  • Section 1.3.3, steps for WrapMessageKey, 2nd-to-last bullet: Set pTag to hold the tag returned from C_WrapMessageKey (instead of C_EncryptMessageKeyNext)
  • Section 1.3.3, steps for WrapMessageKey, last bullet: Call C_WrapMessageKey() for CKM_AES_GCM mechanism with parameters and key to be wrapped K, wrapping key wK. obtaining …
  • Section 1.3.3, steps for UnWrapMessageKey, last bullet: Call C_UnWrapMessageKey() for CKM_AES_GCM mechanism with parameters, wrapped key K, unwrapping key wK, template for the new key, obtaining a key handle.
  • Section 1.3.5 mentions C_DecryptMessage and C_DecryptMessageNext
  • Section 1.3.6, at the end of subsection CK_GCM_WRAP_PARAMS: defines CK_GCM_MESSAGE_PARAMS_PTR and CK_GCM_MESSAGE_PARAMS -> must be CK_GCM_WRAP_PARAMS_PTR and CK_GCM_WRAP_PARAMS
  • Section 1.3.6, in subsection CK_CCM_WRAP_PARAMS: ulDatLen is not needed here, is it?

As I brought up in the last TC meeting, I have a split opinion about the function names C_WrapMessageKey and C_UnwrapMessageKey:

  1. On the one side, this uses similar naming, structures, logic as the SignMessage/EncryptMessage functions, thus understanding their functionality is easy when already knowing SignMessage/EncryptMessage.
  2. On the other side, (Un)WrapMessageKey sounds strange, maybe even misleading.

For me, the 2nd argument is more relevant than the first. I therefore propose other functions names: C_WrapKeyAuthenticated and C_UnwrapKeyAuthenticated. What do you think?

Best regards,

Dieter